twenty-three

The feeling of black, tight skinny jeans were chaffing on Calum's thighs and he felt so uncomfortable but he promised he would dress nice for Michaels sake. Or at least nicer. He was wearing a nice white button-up and black dress shoes on his feet to make him seem a tiny bit classier.

His lover had asked him to accompany him to a small event that had to do with his new album and who was Calum to say no when he got the biggest puppy eyes in the world when asked.

"You look so good. So handsome," Calum heard a voice say from behind him. He had been styling his hair in his room and he could see Michael in the reflection of the mirror.

"Thanks baby," Calum mused, turning around and smiling at the boy he was absolutely smitten with.

Michael's smile widened and he allowed for his hands to rest on the brown boy's hips. Calum stretched his hand out and fixed part of his lover's fringe, a strand of freshly dyed red hair that had fallen out of place.

"Are you ready to go?" Michael asked softly.

***

Calum was watching as Michael made his way around the room and talked to a bunch of producers, publicists, and anyone who had helped produce the album. Michael had been pulled away temporarily from He had witnessed many artists, such as Dave Grohl, John Feldy and even Joel Madden walk past him and Calum had to say at least twelve prayers that he'd remain calm as his idols walked past.

The band was going to be some sort of announcement or small show or something soon so Calum sat to the side and watched as everyone talked amongst themselves. He only knew Ashton and barely knew the others so he stayed quiet and didn't talk. Alex and Jack had tried talking to him once or twice but Calum quickly shut them down when he reminded them of the karaoke incident that he still hasn't gotten over.

They had apologized but Calum couldn't help feeling a tiny bit bitter.

The brown boy sighed, pulling his phone out of his jeans pocket and started responding to a few of the fans that had left comments on his new covers. He normally wouldn't do this out in the open or in public but he was in an isolated part of the table. The closest person to him was six feet away.

The sound of someone clearing their throat made Calum shriek softly and quickly shut off his phone. He flipped it over and place it on the table top. The brown boy looked up and started to feel dumb when he realized that the person that was clearing their throat was standing on the small stage that was fifteen feet in front of him. He heard the person laugh and Calum groaned, realizing it had been Michael.

"Hey everyone- sorry about that little scare Cal- welcome to our little hang out today. Is it a hang out? I don't even fucking know. We're 5 Seconds of Summer and we're kind of chilling right now. We just finished writing an album that we are super excited to put out and today we'll be playing a new song from it. I wrote it about two weeks ago with Joel and Benji Madden and it's honestly one of the best songs, I feel, that is on the album. I wrote it about someone super special in my life and I knew I had to record it quickly and play it tonight so that he'd finally know how I feel. I know it's kind of cheesy but yeah, I hope you guys like it," Michael announced into the microphone, stumbling a bit over his words as he made direct eye contact with Calum the whole time he talked.

Michael pushed the black microphone back into place and walked over to his guitar, picking it up. He turned over his shoulder, looking at his best friends who already had their instruments ready and were staring back at him. Ashton slowly started the song with a soft drum beat and maybe ten seconds later, Michael came in with the first verse.

"I'll take what you got, got, got. I know it's not a lot, lot, lot. 'Cause I just need another hit, you're the thing that I can't quit. You got what I want, want, want. Here but then you're gone, gone, gone. If you told me that we were through, you know that I would break the truce," he sang softly. His voice rang throughout the quiet dining hall and Calum was sure he was in love. At least a little bit, not completely.