Chapter 12

STEPHANY'S P.O.V.

I sit on my bed while I'm checking my phone, I just woke up and I have my first class in an hour so I have time. I open whatsapp. Some messages from people from New York and one from my dad I decide to click on that message

It is a video! I press the play button and my face lit up. "Hey Stephany we want to wish you luck on you first real day!" Mia says. "You're practically only a week gone but we miss you very much! So we come over so soon as possible if you like" My dad says. "Maybe we can face time sometime! And uhh... Steph I miss you very very very much and big hug from me and Pink" Mia says. I laugh about that fact that she mentioned Pink because it is her rabbit. "We love you big kiss!" My daddy says and they waved before the video stopped.

I feel a little tear roll down my cheek. I miss Mia and my dad so much. Most of the people want to have a house themselves when they're as old as I am. But for me, it's different. We always had so much fun together and I don't have that here.

You know the feeling of a real best friend? I always had one but I've lost her 2 years ago or something. And about that moment I did everything with Mia and my daddy.  And also Jason of course.

With a best friend you can do everything and you can be weird and depressed. It's amazing to have someone like that by your side and i realised that when I lost mine.

"Well that was a nice party" Niki said while we we're waiting for the taxi to pick us up.

"Yeah and very nice Dylan finally walked over to you" I said glaring at her.

"Stop" Niki said blushing.

" You like him, huh" I asked.

"No" she almost yelled.

" Come on I can see it on your face" I laughed.

"Alright but I don't like him as much you like Jason" she said giggling.

"I think you do" I laughed. But I got interrupted by a shot. I look behind me but it was to dark to see anyone. I was trying to find Niki to ask if she was okay but then I heard someone yelling.

"Shit!" I heard from behind, I look around and I see Niki laying on the ground in blood.

"Oh my god" I say when I realized it is her own blood. I grab my phone out of my pocket and I immediately heard another gun shot. And the pain came into my leg and then it started to take over my whole body. I tried to get my phone again but I couldn't  move. I started panicking and to cry.  Then everything I saw went black.

I came away with only a shot in my leg but Niki died. She was shot in her stomach and the ambulance wasn't early enough to save her. I was so broken. I felt so guilty and my mom was so mad.

My mom works as a detective and that kind of stuff. And the shooter shot Niki but it was meaned for me bacause of my mother her work. She knows criminals and they know her. So someone sent someone to shot one of her daughters so she felt pain.

But the shooter didn't do his job so well because he shot the wrong person and when he shot my leg. The police immediately found the shooter on the opposite sidewalk running away. But when the after the whole criminal process I laid in the hospital. And I was so broken, my best friend died and it feels like it was my fault; I had to die. I had to die. Why was that shooter so stupid!? I never saw the shooter. My mom told me that I couldn't handle that confrontation and she is probably right. After one month of hell the final sentences came. My dad came to me with a sad face and I knew it wasn't good. I got to know this face very well this month. "They didn't have enough evidence to send him to prison" my dad said. I wanted to say something but I couldn't talk anymore. The tears took over me and before I knew it, I was crying so hard. The last month I couldn't cry. After the accident that night. I didn't cry for a whole month. I felt unfair besides Niki. She had much more pain I deserved it she just was on the wrong place why didn't we get a taxi came earlier? Why was I so fucking stupid to take her with me to the party even though I knew she didn't like parties that much..

"I know there is a witness somewhere on earth I hear someone running dad!" I almost screamed. I heard two people running one behind me and one on the opposite of the street. I screamed but I felt my throat burning from the tears.

"The boy we think it is where did he walk?" I ask.

"Steph it's done now, we can't do anything anymore" my dad said.

" Dad did he walk on the opposite or not!?" I screamed at him.

"You can't just complicate yourself with this investigation." He almost screamed back.

"Dad! Doesn't it makes sense to you!?" I say. "The guy you accuse is a witness! You know there is no evidence against him because he is a fucking witness" I almost screamed.

"Who is it? Who is that guy you suspect?" I asked screaming.

" Steph keep it cool. Just calm down a bit and drink some water. Let the research over on your mom and her team. It's there job so we have to trust that they do it right" my dad said.

" I think the medicines makes you overreact a little bit, mom won't let anyone get away with this. Don't worry the shooter comes in prison, it doesn't matter how long it takes. The shooter comes behind bars sooner or later." Dad said.

My revalidation took long and I had to stop cheerleading but I had to sooner or later so I was okay with that. I had a long revalidation and I became a famous girl in school. People knew me from 'the girl who got shot' but that was the last thing I wanted. My only real friend was Jason and we fell in love.

Everyone seemed to have pity and there was one fake friend after another. People who seem to only care about you when you are in the spotlight. But times you really need them they are nowhere to be seen. My revalidation was almost on it's end and I got my grades. I wanted to leave New York because of all the fake people and because of al the publicity around me so I decide to left. I was so done with everything. I went to a psychologist and she helped me so well. I always had that trainee and she was only a few years older than I am.

She helped me very well and I think that because of her I dare to walk on sidewalks and I dare to go to parties again. You know I always bring the memory with me. But with the help of the trainee called Avery I'm able to live my life and now I know Niki don't want me to be sad. She wants me to feel good so I try to remember that every time I feel guilty or sad or mad or something like that.

I always wear a necklace I got from her. She has the same. We always wore it to school, so we could show everyone we were "BFF's" Everyday when I wear it I remember her and remember that she's always on my side to support me.

The necklace is of silver and there is a litte moon on. And on the one from Niki hangs a little sun.

I'm here in Los Angeles to start a new life and I try to forget the past. And just find some happiness without a constant reminder of that stupid night.

"Steph?! Are you okay" I hear a familiar voice asking.