Seventeen

"What do you mean, Ryuzaki has been kidnapped?!" Soichiro boomed.

When Light and Matsuda told everyone what happened to L, they didn't take it lightly.

Light also noticed Watari had left the room and was back again.

"Someone came in his room and kidnapped him," Light told his father, sighing a bit.

"How'd whoever did it get past the security?"

"I don't know, either they must know someone that can get easily past security like Wedy, or they must've snuck in just as I was leaving and waited before taking L."

Watari cleared his throat as to get some attention. Heads turned his way, looking at him questioningly.

"Until L can be rescued, I've called in for someone capable of leading the Kira investigation," the older gentleman told them. "He is coming from Los Angeles, California, in the United States." A few of them gasped and stared at him, surprised, jaws barely agape.

Light's eyes hardened. "But we can do that by ourselves!" He argued, throwing his hands in the air exasperatedly. "We don't need someone to take L's place–"

"It will only be temporary," Watari said, sighing. "He will not be taking L's place. He will just help fight to catch Kira while L cannot. He can also aid us in finding out L's whereabouts."

Light huffed and looked away. "I can find L myself," he muttered, about to storm out when Matsuda grabbed his arm.

"Light, don't…"

Light sighed and shook Matsuda's hand off him. "I'm going out with Misa. Let me know when this guy gets here."

And with that Light was gone.

"I have called in another who will be searching by himself for L also," Watari told them, and Soichiro nodded.

Light sat on his bed in his house, which he hadn't been to in awhile. His mom and sister were happy to have him back. He ended up telling them the truth about where he'd been, and that he was suspected of being Kira but he also promised he wasn't.

Light sighed out. He missed L more than anything. He just wanted to kiss him again, but he couldn't, even if he was still around.

'He may not very much suspect me anymore, but at the same time he does, and then he also probably doesn't want me because I'm just not good enough for him…'

Light wiped a few tears from his cheeks and eyes and looked over at his nightstand. He scooted closer to it and opened the drawer, rummaging around until his found his broken pencil sharpener.

He stared at the little cutter in his hand, thinking about everything. He brought it to the delicate skin of his forearm, pressing down slightly as he dragged it across his flawless skin.

Little bubbles of blood appeared on the red line he made on his skin, which he had barely broken. He repeated his actions a couple more times until it began to burn. He tossed the cutter back into the drawer, staring at his arm, horrified.

'Why did I do that?!'

More tears fell from his eyes and then he was reaching for the phone. Who would he call? His best friend was kidnapped and he didn't really have anyone else besides Misa.

He dialed his 'girlfriend's' number and shakily held it to his ear.

She picked up after a few moments. "Hi, Light!"

"M- Misa, can you come over?"

Misa's eyes widened. "Yes… of course… Is everything okay?"

"I don't know… just please hurry."

He hung up and tossed the phone, wrapping his arms around himself, hugging himself.

Misa didn't know how to react when Light called her. She was utterly surprised, and quickly got changed, and then her and Rem were walking to Light's.

She was pretty worried. She cared about Light a lot, especially once she realized what he must be going through, and she felt bad. It was partially her fault, after all.

She truly loved Light. The passing months gave her time to grow to love him, even though they barely talked. She just, one day, was in love with his personality, and that was that. So sudden, but she couldn't help it.

She knew he didn't love her, though. She could see that clearly, and it saddened her slightly. She also knew that he had feelings for L.

Now, Misa wanted to be helpful to Kira for what he did for her unintentionally, but now she wasn't so sure it was worth it. She wasn't ready to die, though, and she knew she would if she betrayed Kira.

To her, it seemed like the only ones who liked her were Rem and Matsuda.

But still, she walked down the street in the dark until she reached the gate in Light's front yard. She walked up to the door and knocked lightly.

Light's sister Sayu opened the door and let Misa inside. "Nii-san, Misa-Misa's here!" The dark-haired girl shouted, before going and sitting down to watch a Hideki Ryuga movie on TV.

Misa walked upstairs and opened the door to Light's room, knocking as she did so.

"Light…?"

"Come in," Light murmured, sighing. He was lying in fetal position.

Misa walked inside and climbed beside him. "What's wrong?" She inquired softly, wiping Light's tears away.

"I feel hollow," he whispered, leaning into her as she wrapped her arms around him. A few tears fell down his cheeks again.

It pained her to see him like this. She didn't want him to be sad and hurt.

"Light, what's going on?" She whispered, holding his hand and pressing a kiss to his head.

He shrugged. "Ryuzaki's gone."

"What do you mean?" She asked, even though she already knew the answer.

She knew L was kidnapped, but she wasn't sure where BB took him. Probably his hideout.

"He was kidnapped…"

"Oh no…"

"Yeah…"

"I miss him, Misa," he sighed, wiping away his tears. "Don't be upset, please, but I miss him… It's only been one day though… I guess I'm just– just so worried."

"I understand, Light."

"Misa, I think Kira took him and I'm afraid he's going to die–"

"Oh Light…"

She held him close, and as he cried, she shushed him and told him that everything was going to be okay, and stayed with him until he fell asleep.

"What are you thinking, Misa?" Rem asked, sitting at the foot of the bed.

"I don't know what to do, Rem," Misa whispered, staring at the wall. "I want to help Kira, but it hurts to see Light like this."

"I understand," the shingami replied, grabbing Misa's hand. "Just do whatever makes you happy, Misa." She squeezed Misa's hand lightly.

"I'll try, Rem." The blonde squeezed Rem's hand back, and then it was silent. Misa stared at the wall until she fell asleep and Rem stood by, watching them all night.

Misa really was torn between helping Kira and saving Light. But no matter what, she just wanted to do what was right.

Hey, only two chapters this time, but hey, it's an update c: