Another accident

"Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe, Chloe...."

If Tyler said my name one more time, I would have ripped my ears off my head and shoved them down his throat.

"Chloe."

"WHAT!?" I turned my whole body around in my chair, only to see Tyler and Josh snickering at my rage.

"Jesus, you have a bad temper," Josh muttered with a little grin.

"What do you want?" I growled. I was not in the mood to be teased.

"Nothing," Tyler admitted with a shrug. "I just wanted to see if you were ok."

I turned back to my desk, where a bunch of equations were waiting to be solved. "I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know," Tyler replied. "You just seem a little grumpy today."

"I'm always grumpy."

"More grumpy than usual."

"I'm fine."

I don't know if that was necessarily true. I would be lying if last night had not been bothering me this morning. Every time I closed my eyes, that beaten boy lying on the garage floor popped into my brain. And everywhere I went, I felt as if Derrick was leaning over me with his crowbar.

I was fine. I was just a little afraid.

I felt bad for snapping at Tyler. He was only trying to help. He has given me so much lately. And here I was responding to his love with anger. I actually felt the need to apologize.

But before I could turn around, Lucy Evans caught my eyes. I watched as she walked by my desk and went straight to Josh. Her hand drifted against his neck while her auburn hair fell into his face. Josh smiled slyly. His cheeks turned bright pink.

As soon as she walked away, Josh looked over at Tyler. His face was flushed with excitement. "You know what that means. Josh is getting some tonight."

At that, Sky actually looked up from her math problems. She had been so quiet that I had almost forgotten that she was sitting right next to me. But the mention of Josh having sex brought her back into reality.

"So you're still with her then?" Sky wondered. She didn't turn around to look at Josh. She didn't want him to see how pale her face had gotten.

Josh shrugged. "Well, we really aren't together. We are more like sex pals. We hook up. That's it."

"Is that really what you want?" Sky asked.

Josh smiled. "Hell yeah. What else is there?"

"So much more," Sky whispered. But nobody heard her besides me.

Since Tyler had a lacrosse game today, he wasn't able to give me a ride to Mason's house.

So Mason picked me up.

As soon as I had stepped out of the school doors, it had started to pour rain. And I'm not talking about a little drizzle. I'm talking about huge drops of rain. And it was coming down hard.

I made the sprint to Mason's car. When I got inside I was soaking wet. He was biting his lip, like he was trying to contain a smile.

"Good afternoon," he greeted.