Key To My Heart ~ Chapter 21

A/N:  I realized the other day when I was playing KH2 again, the ‘roof’ of The Castle That Never Was is the ‘Altar of Naught’.  How the hell did I forget that?  *drifts into a daydream where no one never forgets a thing*  

  Writing Merlin's bit was so weird!

  Sorry for the crappy ending in this chapter, but it was already nine pages and I didn't want it to go any longer.  There is quite a bit of POV switching, so pay attention ;)

RECAP:

  Riku, realizing how much this was hurting, held you even tighter, saying incoherent words in your ear, trying to ease the suffering, but it barely helped.  The black spots got larger and the pain became even worse.  Your voice was hoarse from screaming and you couldn’t even breathe anymore.

  The last thing you were aware of before the pain suddenly stopped was Riku saying something in one more attempt to calm you down.

  “I love you.”

  Then your eyes shut and you slipped into darkness.

 STORY STARTS:

Riku’s POV

  All at once Maryx went completely slack in your arms.  You felt a tingling sensation through your body - no doubt an effect of the light - but you ignored it.  “Maryx?” You shook her as lightly as you could, but she didn’t stir.  “Come on Ryx, stop playing around.”  No response.  ‘God no, please don’t be dead,’ you thought desperately.

  Roxas and Kairi came running up the steps to meet you, wide grins on their faces.  “We finished them all off!” Roxas bragged.  “You should’ve seen Kairi, she kept blasting them with these awesome energy attaaaa…” He trailed off as he and Kairi saw Maryx’s state.  “She’s okay, isn’t she?” Kairi asked.

  “I…I’m not sure…I mean, she’s breathing…right?”  Just to double-check, you looked back down at Maryx to see that her breaths were short and ragged.

  You barely noticed as more people approached.  “Man, Kaori is awesome!” Sora exclaimed.  “She was like that killing machine in that movie with the zom…bies……”

  “Ryx!!!” Kaori fell to her knees and tried to grab her from you.  “Ryx!  Wake up!  Talk to me!”

  “Be careful,” you choked out, pulling Maryx back a little.  “You might hurt her.”

  Kairi, who was surprisingly calm, knelt down and delicately put her hands to Maryx’s neck.  “Oh…her pulse is hardly there at all.  You guys should heal her, fast.”

  You fumbled around your pockets for potions and ethers, and started pouring them down her throat as carefully as you could.  When she didn’t react to them, Sora and Roxas gave her their stash, but still she didn’t wake up.  “Try Curaga,” Kairi suggested.

  Sora raised his hand and said, “Heal.”  A green glow surrounded her, and everyone leaned in closer to see what would happen.  Unfortunately, when it faded you saw that nothing had changed.  “Why isn’t anything working?” Kaori asked frantically, looking close to tears.

  “Calm down, Kaori,” Roxas said gently, crouching down and putting his arm around her.  “She’s still alive.”

  “She’s all I have left!” she snapped, even though she leaned back into him.  “She can’t die, she just can’t!”