Chapter 9 - Sneaky

Sapphires point of view
When I get home, I straight away get to wrapping Alfie's present. I think to myself the quicker I send it off, the quicker it will arrive. The challenge was seeing mum and attempting to get the presents upstairs without her noticing. I opened the door as quietly as a can and run for it. I run all the way to my room and dump the bags under my bed, grabbing the mascara stick and the top and shoes I brought for mum.After everything that has happened the last few days I have got quite good at making up stories and lying. To make sure every bit of what I am gonna tell mum is full proof I grab along with the mascara a superdrug spare carrier bag from under my desk. I always keep spare bags under my desk so that when I go town I don't have to pay 5p for one. I'm tight right? But for only getting £15 pound a month you have to save because for a 15 year old girl there is many stuff I need to buy.
" Sapphire you home?" My mum yells up the stairs.
" Yes. Will be down in a sec" I trudge back down the stairs thinking through what I am gonna tell her. I was in town getting mascara.The rest of the money was spent on her gift, that's all.
I reach the kitchen where my mum is doing the dishes. This is all she does all day mainly because she only works 3 days a week.
" Hi dear how was your day? "
"Good"
" Do you have any change?"
Oh no. I didn't think about this. I used all the money. The mascara was very expensive,and I did buy her some presents so...
" no, because I brought you something" I say whilst showing my mum the presents.
"Awww, darling thank you" she says before kissing me on the cheek " you didn't need to"
"But you do so much for me and Zed" I say.
"Sweetie" she says whilst looking at the shoes and top.
Our conversation is very boring from then on and I switch off.
Afterwards, I go back upstairs and wrap. Everything is sorted until I realise something. I brought no wrapping paper! Why could I have been so stupid? I think back to why I didn't think off that. Alfie. Alfie was the reason, I got distracted. It made me want to go home and wrap his present quicker. Oh well, I think. Mum has got to have some wrapping paper, what does she use to wrap my birthday presents? I hear the sound of pans and pots downstairs so decide to go and find some whilst she's down there. I go into her room which is just across the hall from mine and open the door. When I do so I realise that my dad is in there, he is sleeping because he works nights. Damm it! I think about turning back but end up heading forwards anyway. My dad is a very heavy sleeper, if I stayed quiet he won't wake up. So I walk to the wardrobe where I think my mum would put it most, then realise a place she would put it, the under stairs cupboard! Why didn't I think of that sooner? I creep back across the room heading to the hall, but when I do there's a massive creek from the floor. I freeze. Dad rolls over still in deep sleep.I continue creeping to the hall.
I'm out of my mums room and I start to go down stairs when the door bell rings. I totally forgot I had family coming round. I run to the door and answer it. My auntie Karen comes in and gives me a hug then my uncle Ethan comes in holding baby jack and gives me a hug too. I am kissing baby Jack when cousin Emma walks in and says
"Hi "
I say hi back. She then gestures for her dad to let her hold Jack and he replies by telling her to wait.
I shut the door behind them as they make their way to the kitchen.
Alfie gifts will have to wait I think to myself whilst following them to the kitchen.