Chapter Nineteen: Dont Judge A Book By Its Cover

Crash.

I'm pretty sure that's the fifth time today I have crashed into someone.

"Sorry," I apologise and keep running through the halls. You'd think I'd do better with my lightning reflexes.

Oh no. Oh no.

I fling the door open.

He's already made it.

There, Ryan stood, with a finger pointed at me. "That's her."

Some idiot decided that I had assaulted Ryan even though he was the one trying to punch me, not the other way around.

"Laura Winters," Mr Grady huffs.

"Yes."

"Take a seat."

I take a seat in a comfy looking chair but it turns out to be hell more than anything. Guys, don't trust a book by its cover.

"So I hear you tried to punch Ryan here," he starts.

"No." I say quickly. I add, "it's the other way around."

Mr Grady sighs. "I can almost agree, Ryan's done some bad things in the past."

"Don't judge a book by its cover," I blurt. Why, Laura, why?

"Pardon."

"I wouldn't worry, sir," I say.

"I am going to worry, because I know what you said."

Oh worm plop.

The door swings open just then.

"I can assure you sir, Laura did nothing wrong," the person says.

"Jordan?" The principal and I say, surprised.

"Let Laura go and I will explain."

"Ok . . ." The principal starts agreeing. Then an expression goes through his face of a change of heart. Dammit. "Actually, you can stay here and explain with Laura here."

I glance at Jordan then back to the principal. "Can I just talk to Jordan outside for a minute?"

Mr Grady sighs. "Don't take too long."

I get up and walk past Jordan. I drag him out of his seat and outside the room. "What are you doing?"

"Saving you."

"Twice?"

"You're worth it."

My heart melted. I grab Jordan into a bear hug and he whispers into my ear, "Don't say anything to Mr Grumpy unless he asks you a question. And try not to blurt anything aloud."

I sigh. "You heard what I said didn't you." As much as I am annoyed he heard my stupid outburst, I can't help but smile a little. This is what friends are for. "I couldn't ask for a better friend."

An expression I couldn't determine went through his face. He just nodded, a subtle frown pulling at his lips. "Come on," Jordan says, "let's not get you suspended – or expelled if it goes that far."

And we walk back into the room of hell.

~~~

"Today we are doing something different," my science teacher announces. She places a giant tub of water of a table. "You can go touch the water if you must." She added when she sees the class trying to touch it. Immediately, everyone scoots over to the water and puts their hand in it. A series of 'oohs' and 'ahs' go through the room when they all touch the water. It's a kid thing. A kid thing that never goes away.

Just as I put my hand in it, the teacher just announces, "it's salt water by the way."

It's too late...

The water is frozen. I fling my hand out, which is the only thing not frozen. All the other students hands are frozen still.

I death stare the salt water.

Why!?

It may look like it's harmless, but really it's a horrible, disgusting hell creature that isn't even living. Like I said earlier, don't judge a book by its cover.

I don't even think any of that made sense.

One screams. "I'm . . . I'm frozen!"

This is reminding me of Elsa from Frozen when everyone discovers her powers. Except in my case, they don't know it was me.

Thank worms for that.

The teacher looks at the ice in confusion. "I'll get another tub. This time don't put your hand in it."

The students that have free hands help the other students get their hands out.

I came to the decision that it was best for me not to participate so I took the 'sick card' and left.