Chapter Thirty-Seven: I Love My Friends

I may have forgot to say school finished about a two weeks ago. It's now December the twenty-fourth and I'm heading off to the ice skating challenge I almost forgot about. I walk through the doors of the rink and pay. I grab some skates and put them on. Shayden is waiting just outside the rink for me.

"I understand how your so fast at ice skating now. You go lightning fast," I whisper to Shayden.

"I understand how you go so fast now, too. You move as if the ice is your best friend," he whispers back. I smile.

The louder speaker eventually calls my name and I line up, ready to race. I hear the beep and start skating. I pass the other skater easily. I do a little spin and the crowd goes "ooooooohhh". I bend down and brush my hand across the ice when I realise the others are catching up. This helps me gain a little more speed. I pass the finish line quickly then get off the rink.

"And the winner is...Laura Winters!" The loud speaker announces, making me smile.

~~~

Shayden wins his races like the champions he is. A smile spreads across our faces when later on the announcer announces the winners of the day.

"In third place is...Liza Zimmerman!" He starts, "and in second place we have...Shayden Bolter!"

It's not till there I realise everyone who is a shifter, their last names match their power in a way. Jordan Coal because coal is dark...Connor Smith because he is like a blacksmith...Charlie Bavol because Bavol means wind...Shayden Bolter because of lightning bolts... It's like fate planned this all...

"And in first place is...Laura Winters!" The announcer dude shouts.

I go up and get my trophy next to Shayden and the other girl, Liza.

Yeah, it was great.

~~~

We walk outside the rink together.

"So..." I say, "what do you want to do?"

"Want to grab a hot chocolate?" Shayden questions. I have to keep repeating to myself it wouldn't be a date, just a friend's outing or something. Not a date...some part of me wished it was.

"How about a milkshake?" I ask, changing the drink.

"Pfft, no, it's freezing!" He exclaims.

"It's hot!" I argue then remember it will always be hot for me now.

"Says you," he grumbles. "You get a milkshake, I'll get a hot chocolate."

I nod and we begin walking.

"Hey, remember that time I convinced you I had to do some extra things in town and got you to drop off those clothes at my house?" I ask, recalling that day before going to the beach.

"Yeah," he nods.

"I didn't actually have anything to do in town, I just wanted to run home," I inform him.

Shane laughs, "I remember that. I thought there was something mentally wrong with you. Not that there already is."

"Hey!" I say and playfully punch him in the shoulder. I don't bother doing it lightly since he is just another shape shifter like me.

We chat about the things we did when we first found out about being able to change to a wolf till we get to the shop. We order our preferred drinks and then keep on chatting about the most random things. It was a good afternoon.

"You know somethings don't understand?" I say but continue before can say anything, "everyone in the resistance calls Jordan, - who's name is really Dylan - Jordan."

He chuckles at a memory, "yeah, when we decided to come spy on you, he thought we should change our names but we didn't want to. He did anyway. His name is really Jordan, somehow, you knew before you were ever a shifter. You're gifted Laura."

I try to hold back a blush but that doesn't really work out. He laughs and pinches my cheek. I swat his hand away.

Silence.

"Can I walk you home?" He asks.

"I don't know, can you?" I reply.

He groans, "may I walk you home?"

"May you run me home?" I question. I feel like taking a run in the woods right now. As a wolf of course. We walk the way to the woods, grabbing a lovely 'hamburger' from McDonalds. What can I say? Their burgers taste great even though its not good for me.

"Is just me, or is being a shape shifter make meat look ten times more delicious?" I question, looking at the meat lovingly.

Shayden laughs, "no, its not just you."

I laugh and take a bite out of it. Not much later I finish the burger. We reach the forest and it one swift move I'm a wolf.

"Race?" I suggest.

"Sure."

I get ahead at first, but Shayden having the power over lightning also seems to give him the power to go really fast, he won. I complain but he refuses to listen to me.

Oh, I love my friends.

No not the lovely-dovey-lets-kiss way. I love my friends as friends. Friend love.

So, yeah, I love my friends.

---

Sorry the chapter is crappy. I have been getting a bit of writers block since the book is closing up.

I may end the book next chapter unless you have any quick suggestions or something.

Asterix.