Chapter 4: Anxiety

I drove Mark around the best parts of Austin, or at least what I considered to be the best parts, leaving the best two for last. I showed him the capital and the park in front of it, stopping for a moment to walk around and point out a couple squirrels to which he ran around screaming "I'M KING OF THE SQUIRRELS" just to amuse me and even some of the kids who were there with their parents who probably thought we were both on drugs. It was amazing, though, to see that even on vacation he was entertaining those around him.

(EDIT: Hey guys! I finally got the youtube thing working so right now is the point where if you want to, the song is to the right I believe. Just click, listen, and read! It makes the atmosphere more real I guess...)

Around sunset I parked close to the bridge that crossed what I called Bat River due to the hundreds of bats that resided underneath the bridge. We walked along it for a while admiring the city and talking about various things. Other people were there as well to watch the natural show, but we eventually found a place to ourselves on the long bridge.

I leaned on the railing with my face in my hands as Mark folded his arms against it and watched the sun slowly set over the horizon. Looking at him like this, the light hitting his face just right, he seemed to be glowing. He seemed serene at this moment; relaxed. As if nothing in the world was wrong. He looked like any normal guy would, but he wasn't. It wasn't because he was a famous YouTuber, but because he was different from any other guy I'd met, and that was a good thing. His brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight, and his smile was genuine. His hair had fallen a little during our run through the park, but it still had it's shape and looked well groomed. I also realized that, while I'm not short I'm not tall either. He was under six foot and was still taller than I was. His body lean but toned. You could tell by the way his hoodie pulled on his arms and chest. A beautiful man, one that I could never imagine would fall for me, whether it was Mark or any other man just like him.

He must've felt my eyes watching him because he looked over at me without moving his head. I made a small noise and went back to watching the sky, hoping the sunlight would hide my flustered face. Damn Mark and him making me blush all day long no matter what!

"You're lucky to live in a place like this. It's so beautiful. I would kill to live here."

"Here?! Really? Have you seen where you live?! You live in the BIG city!"

"That's just it though. Cincinnati is too big. That's why I live right outside of it. But Austin? Man, it's the perfect size. And while walking down the street you hear different music playing everywhere. Live music all the time!" Well, I thought to myself, it IS the live music capital of the world. "Everyone around here is so nice to each other. For the most part anyways. I went out for dinner last night and the waiter was a toolbag." He laughed a little and sighed, closing his eyes, as if he were breathing in the surroundings. I watched him as he just stood there, the wind blowing softly now in comparison to this morning. While his glasses reflected the sunlight, I could still see his long eyelashes as his eyesb were closed. I so badly wanted to hug him and have his arms wrapped around me, but that was my daydreaming acting out again. I looked back out to the water and saw a single bat fly out.

"Mark! Look!" I shook his shoulder as I pointed to the hundreds of bats that suddenly came flying out from under the bridge in a cluster of black. It wasn't something you got to see every day, unless you lived close by and made the trip to the bridge every night. But then, the event wouldn't be as memorable. And I was certain that Mark had never seen anything like this before.

"I've never seen anything like that before in my life." Told you! "That's beautiful." We watched as the flock of bats slowly separated and disintegrated into the sunset while the rest of the people oohed and aahed.