Chapter 23: Mark The Killer

~Mark's P.O.V.~

I couldn't bring her back home. She was sick, in more ways than one. I could never heal her correctly. I'm not really a doctor. I can't help her. I can bring her to those who can though, real doctors. So what did I do? I brought her to the hospital of course!

Sorry, I can't even try to be silly at a time like this.

I watched her through the window, hooked up to different machines and multiple IVs in her hands. Her arms were wrapped up in gauze. They said her wounds would scar over. I said that's fine as long as she doesn't die. They said they would try their best. The cold can be more damaging than you think. She was breathing, but it could be the oxygen mask covering her nose and mouth. They had changed her into the typical hospital gown, except hers was long sleeved. Baggy so they could roll it up when they needed to, but long sleeved to help her warm up a little easier.

"Do you know why she was out in the middle of the forest in weather like this? Especially at night?" Her doctor came up to me and asked me this, but I couldn't give a full answer.

"She's been going through some stress recently." I never took my eyes off of her unusually pale body. "When will she wake up?"

"As soon as she's done sleeping. That's all she's doing. She woke up while we were putting the IVs in her hands, but the medicine put her back to sleep."

"So you put her in a coma?!" I took the doctor by his collar and stared him down, waiting for an answer.

"No no! It's just the medicine makes the patients drowsy so they sleep it off." I let him go and turned back to Alexis. She looked mor peaceful now than she did before, but it was still painful to see her in this state. I wish I had never done what I did. She wouldn't be here right now if I had never broken up with her.

"Can I go in?"

"We would prefer if you didn't." I shook my head.

"Why not?"

"We prefer family only."

"Well I'm the closest to family she has here." I tugged at my hair. I hadn't bothered to do anything to it so it was a limp mess. As always, I don't really care.

"Go ahead." My head snapped towards the doctor. He gestured for me to go on in and I silently thanked him before opening the door and rolling a seat next to her.

Her face was sunken in a little, compared to it's usual fullness. Her eyes had bags from the past couple weeks and she looked miserable. I held her hand, which was still icy cold, and felt her heartbeat in her bandaged palm. It was slow and rythmic. I thought I felt my heart slow from the worried fast pace to the calm and collected beat of hers. In her sleep she moaned and grunted, probably a nightmare. But when her long fingers grasped onto mine, her irritated face turned soft again and a small smile crept onto her lips. She was alive, and that thought was all it took to make my frown upside down, if just a little.

My eyes caught onto something silver shining in the hospital lights. It was heart shaped and secured around Alexis' neck. With my free hand, I took the locket and opened it. The picture of us was unharmed and the stupid engraving I had carved into there still stuck. The outside was a little dirty from her being outside and countless showers she'd taken, but the inside was the most important, and it meant so much that she never took it off, even when she was downright hateful towards me.

That reminded me of something.

I kissed her hand quickly and ran out of the room to the front desk on this floor.