Chapter 8: Choices

So I called up a couple of my dorm buddies. Some did bring friends and some didn't but by the time the party had kick started there were more people than I had imagined. Never did I expect to host a party with guests from frats and sororities! And they were there because my friends knew them. 

I asked Lindsay if she wanted to come, trying to be a good roommate and host, but she laughed in my face and said "why would I want to go to some loser's party?" and went back to her magazine.

When most people think about college parties they think booze, drugs, and sex. Mainly booze. But if that's true then we are doing this wrong! A dozen coolers were filled to the rim with ice, water bottles, and various sodas and Gatorade. One guy tried to bringing a six pack of beer but literally everybody else booed him out! Several snack bowls were placed around the lounge filled with nuts, chips, pretzels, and candy. We even had fruit bowls that some students were actually eating! We had music going, but it wasn't just pop or rap or whatever was popular. It was mixed up, as good music actually played after two or three mediocre or bad songs played.

A few girls from the rest of our building also came up to see what was going on. Then they'd invite some of their friends from the next building over, and we ended up with one big ass party! It was a good mix and strangely there were no fights. All the different cliques were there too; the nerds, the preps, the jocks, the freaks (like me), and even some of the super Christian people, though they'd scowl every time they heard a bad word or saw someone with immodest clothing but played nice.

I would check on Mark every now and then and would see him talking to a small group and laughing like he was enjoying himself. A couple girls went googly eyed at him but for some reason stopped when they would go flirt. He would say something, smile apologetically, and the girls would nod and walk off. He was probably saying how he wasn't interested in dating right now; at least I think he isn't. But even so, he seemed to be enjoying himself.

It was about 9 in the evening and pitch black, though you could see lightning in the distance of an approaching storm. Speaking of storms, it was about that same time I noticed Lindsay leaning against the wall in the hallway, spying on the party and its success. She was obviously pissed off that it was going so well, since the last time she tried to throw a party it was a complete bust, only two people showing up and they were part of her pose. But I ignored her and went on my merry way, walking over to my friend Jackie from class.

"Have you seen the new guy?" she asked, talking about Mark of course. "He's simply delicious! I'd love to make a move but all the other girls have gotten turned down."

"Yeah I'm pretty sure he isn't interested in dating anyone right now."

"How would you know?" our friend Sam said while joining us. He was the best romance reader on the entire campus, plus a superb gay-dar to help us all and to find a man of his own. "Do you know him well enough?"

"I was the one who let him in here. He's just visiting for the weekend."

"He's not a student?!"

"Hold up ladies. I too have been spying on that dumpling for a while now and I can most certainly say that he has been turning these girls down for a reason."

"Why?!" Jackie and I said in unison.

"It's because he likes someone already! He may or may not realize it yet though." He raised his perfectly tweezed eyebrows at us, but it seemed more aimed at me than her. I let it go since it was most likely my own imagination playing tricks.

"Hey guys! We're gonna play a game!" someone shouted from the middle of the room. "Somebody call out a fun one!"

"Monopoly!"