Chapter Ten

This is dedicated to theredwitch. We welcome thee :)

___________________________

I get back to our table with some food that I can easily break into pieces to feed Carter and Rick, but I almost drop the tray at what I see.

Rick has blood covering his fist. Carter is sprawled on his back, blood gushing from his nose, one eye starting to bruise.

"Rick, what did you do?!" I shriek, flinging open the lid and snatching Carter out, slamming it shut again.

Carter's chest is moving up and down, and short puffs of breath escape his lips. I rip off a corner of my napkin and wet it in the drink fountain, then slowly dab at Carter's face. The blood flow is letting up, but it's drying and caking all over his face. I calmly scrub it all away, until he moans and opens his eyes.

"W-w-what h-h-happened?" he asks me.

"I don't know! I think Rick did something, I just came back and there was blood on his hands and - oh GOD, I thought I lost you, Carter!" I exclaim, crushing his tiny frame against my shirt.

"A-am getting b-blood on your sh-shirt...." he mutters, tapping my chest in an attempt to get my attention.

I gently set him on the table, giving him another piece of damp napkin to press to his face.

"W-was jealous.... thought I s-stole you from h-h-him," Carter explains. I ball my fists, but he clambers onto my wrist and I cup my palms around him, bringing him up to eye level. He leans forwards and presses another tiny kiss to my cheek.

"W-will be fine..... a-am just upset. B-b-broke promise to J-J-Justin," he tells me.

"What promise?" I ask him.

"P-promise to s-stay out of t-trouble. D-did not. G-got hurt. W-will have to a-a-apologize."

"No, it's my fault. I should've been paying attention and now you're injured."

"I-is not," Carter says. "Um..... Qu-question?"

"Of course," I reply. "Anything you want, Carter."

"A-am kind of h-hungry......" he mumbles, blushing a bright scarlet.

I laugh, rubbing his tiny head. "Of course, Carter, of course."

****************

The minute I get into my room, Justin is running over to me. "Where's Carter? Is he okay? What happened at school?"

"Um..... well....." I stutter, trying to stall him.

"What. Happened. At. School?" he asks, his voice dangerously low.

"Rick, my friend's Miniature, he..... well, look for yourself." I pull Carter out of the pocket of my jacket and set him down.

"Am so s-s-sorry, J-J-Justin!!!!" Carter wails. "B-broke my p-p-promise, g-got hurt, d-did not m-m-mean to, w-was..... w-was naughty and w-will b-be p-p-punished for being b-bad and t-tried, t-tried to s-stop him!"

Justin wraps his hysterical friend in his arms. "Carter, none of this is your fault. I still love you as my brother and my best friend ever, and Hannah - "

"Carter, if it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I left you with Rick, I thought you'd be safe. I was wrong and I'm sorry," I say, making eye contact with Justin. He nods, slightly, letting me know that I'm forgiven for letting Carter get hurt.

"Hey, listen, I'm going to school with Hannah tomorrow, okay? I'll make him wish he'd never messed with Carter Aaron Knight," Justin says. Carter sniffles into his sleeve and pulls back.

"Th-thank you," he hiccups.

"You're welcome. When I'm through with him, he'll look ten times worse than you, because no one - NO ONE - messes with my family and gets away with it."

I'm actually terrified by the tone of his voice.

___________________________

WOO WOO ANOTHER UPDATE!!!!

I have such big plans for this story..... or should I say, small plans? Ya see what I did there? -w-

Anywhoooo..... I still need a fan name for you peoples! Please help me?

Also, Fractured will be updated later. Check that out and give me feedback. There may be a reward if you do.

*cough cough fight scene in Justin's POV cough cough*

See you!

~ Mollie xxxxxx:3