Chapter Twenty

[A/N: Dedication goes to whoever can guess the movie that the line in both bd and italics comes from! And this one is dedicated to JonathanMagistad, and all my other followers for sticking with me:)]

I don't really know how long I've been out - I only know that I'm being pulled abruptly to my feet by the same creepy man who stuck a needle into my neck. He shoves me forward, slashes at something behind me with a pocket knife, and slams the door. Since I'm still woozy, it takes a few minutes to adjust to my surroundings.

I am in a concrete room, with only a sofa and a wooden table. Sitting in the table is a bottle of water and a bowl of popcorn. Upon closer inspection, the popcorn is unsalted and stale. Yuck.

I think for a minute about Justin and Carter. They're probably still in Ohio, and with my luck I'll probably never see then again. But it doesn't matter. They should be safe now, and that's all that really matters.

I reach into my pocket and pull out a small, bright green rubber ball. For the next few hours I preoccupy myself with throwing the ball against the wall and trying to do different things before catching it. When it's about ten o'clock in the evening - according to my watch - I force down a few handfuls of the dry popcorn, drink some water even though it has a metallic taste, and go to sleep.

Carter stands on the edge of a roof. Justin is being held at gunpoint by a man in a business suit. Both of them are Normal-sized.

Carter looks defiantly at the man in the suit. "Y-y-you will n-never break m-m-me," he says quietly. Then he turns and jumps off the building, plunging into the dark water below.

I wake up with a jolt, realizing that I'm no longer alone. There is a familiar woman there - a woman I've seen twice before. Once on the news, and once in my living room.

"Mrs. Knight," I spit. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"That's Doctor Knight to you, child," she spits. "And I've come to tell you why you're here."

"Go on, then. Enlighten me."

"On what in particular, my dear?" Her sickly sweet voice disturbs me.

"Carter and Rick," I decide. "How in earth are those two related?"

"Very well. When Rick - or actually, we named him Daniel originally - was born, his father and I were at the apex of our career! We had just patented our shrinking serum. And we needed a human test subject. But it's too much paperwork to get another person, and Daniel couldn't protest, so we shrank him when he was five months old. And it worked! By the time Carter came along, we had already reaped in the profits - and plenty of subjects. We used the serum as a form of punishment. But then he and that blasted Justin had to release all of or pets. So they became the new subjects. Until Justin's parents just had to go and file a missing child report."

"Well that's a nice story," I mutter sarcastically.

"Oh don't worry, my darling. We haven't got any need for them now. You see, your purpose here is twofold. First and foremost, we intend to use you as bait to lure our son and his little friend. And also...."

She produces a wickedly sharp needle with a glowing green liquid.

"We need new test subjects in their absence. Don't we?"

Before I have the chance to do so much as scream, she jabs the needle into my neck and all goes black.

[A/N: You're getting an early update because I haven't received any fan art yet and that's fine. I just don't wanna keep you lot waiting for nothing, because I love you all:) the contest is still open until Tuesday, though, I extended it. Also.... I think the book might be ending soon? *sobs* But fear not! This book is my baby. Ain't no way I'm letting go that easily fools! :3 When this book ends, would you guys want a sequel? Let me know! ~ Mollie xxxxxxx]