23: Just Friends

"I swear we're just friends." I said. I was being honest. There was nothing going on.

"Ok. Fine. I'll go interrogate Jungkookie now." Jin said, walking off.

Why was everyone so nosy about me and Jungkook? We just became friends and they're already shipping us. But then they're all also supporting me and Tae. Which will never happen. None of this will. I'm going to carry on with my studies until I become a great K-Pop star. I don't have time for boys in my life.

~

School's finished.  Thank God, today's practise was Stage 5 and I think I might have broken something.

As I waited outside for the girls to go home, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Why are you still at school?" Jin asked.

"Oh, it's you. I thought it was-"

"Jungkook. I know. He hasn't come out of school yet, he has to do extra singing practise on Wednesdays."

"Can I go home with you?" I asked kindly.

"Yes of course."

And we walled together
for about ten minutes, eventually starting a conversation.

"And I know it's weird but-" Jin's phone started ringing. He mouthed 'One second' and I shut up.

"Annyeong. Eomma- wae? I uh- araseo. But I was walking home with a friend- okay. I'll be home in  half an hour." He cut the call.

"Sorry Areum, I need to go. It's a meeting for Bangtan and my mother would never let me miss it. Goodbye. I'll see you tomorrow." I nodded and he left.

~

I was walking home myself. It was so boring. I wonder where the girls are. Oh right, Jin told me they went to some cafe. I remember now. I didn't want to go so I told them to head out without me. I'm an idiot.

"Hello there." Said a wavy deep voice.

Drunkards. I smell it from here.

I started to walk faster. There were three of them. I could face them but I hate the smell of alcohol.

I can't run. My ankles are too worn out from today. Oh no. I think they started running, I hear their moaning getting closer.

I walk even faster. This is my limit.

Suddenly it all stops. No more sound. I turned around.

Jungkook. He'd beaten them up. He started to come towards me. I had completely stopped. I couldn't move. It's almost like I wanted him to come to me. No.. it can't be.

*Narrator POV*

As Jungkook walked towards her, she became more and more nervous.

She closed her eyes. She didn't want to know what he was going to do. What if he hurt her again?

He reached her. He pushed her to wall, pinning her down with his arms.

"Why are you out by yourself?" He said, as if he was angry.

"Because Jin had to go. And the girls are at a cafe." Areum said, hesitating to open her eyes.

"Some friends they are. Come on. And open your eyes." He said, grabbing her wrist and dragging her home.

"How do you know where I live?"
"I don't."
"Then how-"
"You lead the way."
"Uh- fine."

And they went home together, Jungkook not letting go of her wrist. He didn't want to admit it, but he suddenly cared about her. Just a little bit. But they were just- just friends.