Chapter 6 || EDITED

The sound of the clock hitting the '00' mark felt like someone placed the entire world on our backs. The tension of the room was just too heavy as soon as Yukihira and Tadokoro arrived along with uncle who left the kitchen 30 minutes before the designated time. Both of my elbows were attached to the steel counters while my hands were supporting my chin. I was just bored like that. Yukihira softly gasped in surprise as soon as his eyes landed to my side. "Takeshima! What are you doing there?" He asked.

"Don't mind me. I'm merely a powerless spectator right now." I laughed, waving my hands in front of me. A smile crossed my face and I gave uncle a firm nod as a signal for him to start. He gladly explained the rules and the waived conditions of both parties. He even assigned Tadokoro Megumi as the Head Chef of the pair. Of course, Yukihira voiced his objections stating that it was him who challenged Chef Shinomiya.

'It's no use, Yukihira-san. Once uncle has decided upon something, that will never change no matter how many times you plead for your life.' I said to myself with my arms crossed. My lips were pursed in a thin line considering how disadvantageous it was for them but, deep inside my mind, I know Tadokoro Megumi has something to offer to outweigh this tipping balance.

I knew at the back of his head, Chef Shinomiya has already begun rejoicing over this twist. I bit my inner lip lightly when I felt a tap on my shoulders. I turned my attention to the source of that light weight and found Chef Sekimori smiling down towards me. "Your face is telling me that you're worried for those young chefs." He said in a volume only loud enough for me to hear coherently.

"I'd be lying if I said no but Uncle Gin must've thought about this long enough and thought it might be for their best interest." I replied while turning my attention back to the match in front of us.

The shuffling sound of the knife swiftly cutting through Chef Shinomiya's ingredients echoed around the room. Sweat slowly covered my palms ever since the time began ticking away. With Tadokoro facing the trays of ingredients sprawled across the table, I sensed an intense fear overpowering inside her through the looks of her eyes. "That ain't nice of you, uncle." I merely said when I felt his dominating presence fixing itself beside me. 'Though contemplation is not an excuse to run away from the kitchen.' I mentally added.

He looked at me then back to the female before chuckling softly. "But you've uncovered my grand plan just by watching them; right?" His voice purely suggested that this paranoia that Tadokoro has right now was entertaining him at some point.

"Crystal Clear. Though you really have to play nice especially if they were to face him." I mumbled, staring at Chef Shinomiya's side profile who already was waiting for the pot to boil...probably. the coral head took a glance at me and sneered, "Are you okay, Rumi? Did a cat bite your tongue?"

He was looking at me with that smug look. Obviously, the way he gave importance to himself made me want to punch him square in the face. But, I am a woman with a class. I won't subject myself to that kind of actions unless provoked. "Who? Me?" I pointed to my ownself then added, "No way. By the way, do not run. I won't allow you to run from this match."

The temperature inside the room seems to have dropped several degrees beyond its freezing point after I said whatever came inside my head. My eyes were narrowing towards the overly confident chef. Then, all of a sudden, we heard a slap coming from the two young chefs. It looks like Yukihira has gone and gave Tadokoro a piece of his father's teachings. The latter smiled, showing that she has escaped the labyrinth of fear inside her head. "Rumi-chan, what you said earlier to Shinomiya. Don't you think that was a little bit harsh on your side?" Uncle whispered to my ears.

"The only harsh thing you could ever get as a chef is when your critic and your own loyal customers deems your recette as something next to a pile of garbage." I replied while keeping an eye of those two young chefs. I heard my uncle sigh in response to what I just said and started to question how my brain works. I laughed saying that it's their fault for throwing me to work for Chef Shinomiya back when I was just 10 years old or something.