The Long Drive (19) Shadow {Part Two}

Shadow (19) {Part Two}

Soon after Sam and Meg had finished their little chat, we left the bar and started making our way back to the Impala.

     "Who the hell was she?" Dean asked.

     "I don’t really know. I only met her once." Sam said, "Meeting up with her again? I don’t know, man, it’s weird."

     "And what was she saying? I treat you like luggage? What, were you bitchin’ about me to some chick?" Dean asked, sounding highly offended.

     "Look, I’m sorry, Dean. It was when we had that huge fight when I was in that bus stop in Indiana. But that’s not important, just listen—" 

     "Well, is there any truth to what she’s saying?" Dean interrupted, "I mean, am I keeping you against your will, Sam?"

     "No, of course not. Now, would you listen?" said Sam exasperatedly. 

     "What?" Dean snapped.

     "I think there’s something strange going on here, Dean." said Sam worriedly. I felt it too.

     "Yeah, tell me about it. She wasn’t even that into me."

     I scoffed and popped Dean across the back of his head, "No, you idjit, he meant like our kind of strange."

     "Yeah, like maybe even a lead." finished Sam.

     "Why do you say that?" asked Dean, rubbing the back of his head and shooting me a glare.

     "I met Meg weeks ago, literally on the side of the road. And now, I run into her in some random Chicago bar?" He didn't sound convinced that this was just a coincidence, "I mean, the same bar where a waitress was slaughtered by something supernatural? You don’t think that’s a little weird?"

     "I don’t know, random coincidence. It happens." Dean shrugged. I gave him a pointed look.

     "Yeah, it happens, but not to us." I said with a sigh.

     "Especially not since we met you." grumbled Dean. What a little grouch.

     "I could be wrong, I’m just sayin’ that there’s something about this girl that I can’t quite put my finger on." Sam said,  trailing off in thought. Dean gave a wolfish smirk.

     "Well, I bet you’d like to. I mean, maybe she’s not a suspect, maybe you’ve got a thing for her, huh?" Sam rolled his eyes but laughed. The hot coil in my stomach returned. "Maybe you’re thinkin’ a little too much with your upstairs brain, huh?" He pointed to his head and his eyes glanced down then back up as he grinned. Sam shook his head and became serious again.

     "Do me a favor. Check and see if there’s really a Meg Masters from Andover, Massachusetts, and see if you can’t dig anything else up on the Daevas." 

     "What are you gonna do?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

     "I’m gonna watch Meg." He replied. 

     Dean started laughing like a sixteen-year-old boy, "Yeah, you are."

     "I just wanna see what’s what. Better safe than sorry." said Sam quickly. I noticed him throw me a worried glance and I cocked my head to the side.

     "I can go with you if you want." I said, deciding I'd rather not have him around Meg alone. I looked up at him with wide, pleading eyes; I gave him a puppy-dog face because I really didn't want him to say no to me.