Love and Stuff

We walked in to the hospital and went straight to Josh's room. I was ecstatic when I saw he was awake.

     "Josh!" I exclaimed happily, hurrying over to him and kissing him on the forehead swiftly.

"How are you feeling?" Natalie asked, grabbing a chair and sitting down by the window sill.

"Like I've been hit by a car," he joked. My face fell.

"That's not funny," I pouted.

"I'm just trying to make light of a bad situation. There's no use moping around or being angry. That isn't going to get me anywhere," Josh explained.

     "I guess," I sighed.

     "Oh and Sam?"

     "Hmm?"

     "I love you too."

     I cocked my head to the side and looked at him in confusion. Then a realization hit me.  

     "You heard that?" I said, my cheeks feeling very hot.

     "Very faintly. I wanted so badly to wake up to tell you I felt the same way, but I couldn't," he explained. "Remember that day in the park? The day we got together? I wanted to say it then but I was afraid to."

     "I wish you would have," I said warmly. I stood there with a huge smile on my face.

     "Will you just kiss him already?" Tyler said impatiently.

     "I don't want to hurt him," I said shyly.

     "Oh come here," Josh said, rolling his eyes and laughing.

     I leaned over and kissed him very gently.

     "I love you," he whispered.

     "I love you too," I smiled.

     Nurse Melanie walked into the room and smiled.

     "After monitoring Josh's injuries, we saw that he didn't sustain anything serious. He can be released tomorrow," she said, looking through some paperwork on a clipboard.

     "That's great!" Jennifer exclaimed happily.

     "He's going to be sore for a while," nurse Melanie continued, "and he probably should have constant company in case he needs any assistance for a few days."

     "You can stay with Jenna and I," Tyler offered but Josh shook his head.

     "No offense but I don't want to be the awkward third wheel," Josh laughed.

     "You can stay with me," I suggested.

     "You guys do live in the same complex, so if you need anything from your place it's not like it's far," Natalie agreed.

     Josh looked at me. "You won't feel weird?"

     "Not at all, don't be silly," I laughed.

     "Then it's settled," Jennifer said, sitting next to Natalie.

     "You guys probably shouldn't get frisky until he's healed though," Natalie said matter-of-factly.

     "Not this again," I groaned.

     "Wow Natalie, you're about as blunt as an axe," Tyler laughed.

     We all sat and chatted for a while, until I tentatively asked what had been bothering me all day.

     "So...what happened?" I asked softly.