Fake You Out

The next day

Text message from: Jack Barakat

Jack: I messed up

Me: Yes, you did

Jack: Now I have to fix it

Me: Have anything in mind?

Jack: Actually I do.
Jack is typing...

     I grinned down at my phone as I read his plan. It was perfect and definitely had to work.

     Right now, Jennifer has office hours at the university so I decided to pop by with Natalie. Josh opted to stay home since he was still feeling banged up. Jennifer Elwood was on a plaque outside her office in shiny gold letters.

      "Hey!" she greeted us in surprise, looking up from the papers she was grading. "What's up?"

      "I just wanted to see if you were going to be busy after work," I said simply, hoping she said no.

        "I don't have any plans. Did you want to do something?"

"Let's just grab some coffee. It's been one of those days," I said, sighing for effect.

She laughed. "Sure. Let me just finish grading these and we can leave."

     I busied myself with poking around her office while I waited for her to finish. A curriculum, test prep, graded papers, things like that.

     "I always thought a teachers office would have like, cooler stuff. Like confidential files and permanent records," I said, slightly disappointed.

"I just got moved to this office last week," she laughed, "I haven't had time to decorate. Besides, those types of files  are hidden away."

"Oh that's right, professor," I said teasingly. She had just gotten bumped up from instructor to professor and I was extremely proud of her.

"You know what this office needs?" Natalie said, looking around the room.

"What?" Jennifer and I asked in unison.

"A portrait of me," she replied, laughing.

After a few minutes, Jennifer was done with her papers. We decided to meet at the coffee shop, as she had her own car and I had mine.

     Once we got there, I put the plan in action.

     "You know, I really feel like playing on the keyboard," I said, sipping on my latte.

     "Let's go! I'm actually in the mood to play something too," Jennifer replied excitedly.

     We headed to my house, and I texted Jack to warn him.

     When we got to my apartment, Jack was sitting on my couch with a nervous but determined look on his face.

     Jennifer narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

     "What's going on?"

     "Just listen, okay?" he pleaded, grabbing her hand and making her sit on the couch.

     Natalie and I sat on my other couch and waited with bated breath. I had told Natalie the plan on the way to Jennifer's office, so none of this was a surprise to her.

He grabbed my acoustic guitar and began to play.

Hey there it's good to see you again,
It never felt right calling this "just friends".
I'm happy, if you're happy, with yourself.

Take off your shirt, your shoes,
those skinny jeans I bought for you.
We're diving in, there's nothing left to lose.

I'm gonna break down these walls, I built around myself.
I wanna fall so in love with you, and no one else,
Could ever mean half as much, to me as you do now.
Together we'll move on, just don't turn around,
Let the walls break down.

My heart completely melted. I was blown away, and by the looks of it Jennifer was too. Her eyes were wide.

     "You're such an idiot," she whispered, cupping his face in her hands.

     "I know and-" Jack started, but was cut off when Jennifer leaned in and kissed him.

     Natalie and I clapped and cheered loudly, causing them both to jump.

     "I think they forgot we were in the room," I whispered loudly.

     "Shut up," Jennifer laughed.

     "Look," Jack said, "I know I messed up bad. And I'm so sorry. I'll never do something that stupid again, especially after seeing the people I care about so hurt because of me."

Josh opened the door to my room and smiled when he saw us. "So it worked?"

"You knew?" Jennifer asked in surprise.

"Who do you think let him in?" he replied with a chuckle.

     Jennifer pulled Jack in for a hug and held him tightly.

     "Just don't do anything like that again," she whispered.

     "I won't," he promised, kissing her on the forehead. "I can't do that again to someone I love."

     "Aw, I love you too," Josh said, making a kissy face at Jack.

     "He means me, idiot," Jennifer laughed, her cheeks turning pink.

     "Huh? I did mean Josh," Jack teased with a grin.

     "I see," Jennifer giggled, "well don't let me come between you two. Come on Sam, I guess it's time we reveal that we're actually lesbian lovers."

     "We sure are," I said with a wink.

     "Alright, that's enough," Jack said, hugging Jennifer protectively.

     She laughed and kissed him on the cheek.

     "I love you," he finally said, looking her deep in the eyes.

     "I love you too," she said with a huge smile on her face.

     "So does this mean we're over?" Josh said with mock indignation.

     "Way to ruin a moment," Natalie scolded playfully.

"Really though, are we good Josh?" Jack asked carefully.

"You really think I would have let you in if I didn't forgive you?" he laughed.

     "You got me there. I am sorry though," Jack replied.

     "It's okay. Just do whatever I want until the cast comes off and we're even," Josh said with an evil grin.

     "How long is that?"

     "Six weeks."

"Alright, how bad can it be?" Jack shrugged.

"Challenge accepted."

For you, ChristinaMonson3 💜