Ducks on a Ride

When I got home from work the next day, I was a bit surprised to see Pete, Dallon, Brendon, Patrick, Jack and Tyler busily making food in my kitchen. Especially considering the fact that it was a tiny kitchen.

     "Brendon, hand me the salt please," Patrick said, stirring something in a pot.

     "What are you guys making?" I asked curiously.

     "Josh was in the mood for some poutine," Jack explained, "and since I'm essentially his slave for the next few weeks of course he called me up to make it for him. Thing is, I can't cook for shit so I asked for backup."

     "And it really took this many of you?" I laughed. 

     "Shush, you're making us feel like we're not welcome," Patrick chuckled as he continued to stir.

     "Brendon! Give the man his salt!" Dallon reprimanded, giving Brendon a swift smack to his butt.

"I'm going, I'm going," mumbled Brendon, squeezing between Dallon and Pete to get Patrick the salt.

     I plopped down on the couch next to Josh with a tired sigh.

     "You know there's a place like two minutes from here that sells poutine right?" I inquired.

     He laughed and wrapped his arm around me. "Jack doesn't need to know that."

     Despite them having made the agreement of Jack basically being Josh's minion, he hadn't really utilized it much other than for menial things like checking the mail for him or getting things from the grocery store. However, he seemed to want to make up for it today.

"Feed me," Josh told Jack when the poutine was ready.

Jack snorted. "I would rather eat my own foot."

"Excuse you, I believe you owe me until this comes off," Josh said warningly, wriggling the fingers poking out of the cast.

Jack sighed deeply.

"Open up for the plane," he mumbled, holding up a forkful of poutine. Josh laughed and opened wide.

"Get it? Because he's a 'pilot'?" Brendon said and everyone groaned. Tyler flung a pillow at him.

"Guys let's go to the park," Patrick suggested.

"Are there ducks? I want to feed some ducks," Tyler said with a shy smile.

"There will be for now. They'll be flying south for the winter soon," Dallon replied.

"Let's go!" Pete said excitedly.

"There's a loaf of bread in the cupboard, take it," Josh said.

"You say that like you live here," Jack said, raising an eyebrow.

"He pretty much does," I said with a giggle. It's true--Josh has been here for two weeks now.

Once everyone ate some poutine, we headed out to the park. I texted Jennifer to have her meet us there since it was a beautiful day. We grabbed two picnic tables by the lake.