Chapter 1

Copyright © 2016, R.J. Snow

Cover Art by Subbotina Anna\www.shutterstock.com

All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieved system, without prior written permission of the author.

This book is a work of fiction. Any names, places, characters, and incidents are a product of the author's imagination and are purely fictitious. Any resemblances to any persons, living or dead, any place or events is purely coincidental.

_________________________________________________________

Chapter One

One chilly, February morning I walked into my high school and found my two best friends, Jennifer and Savannah, standing in the hallway next to Jennifer's locker. Their faces were beaming with excitement about something.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked them curiously.

"Guess what Alyssa? My dad used his connections to get us all a ticket for the Shawn Mendes concert next Saturday," Jennifer answered excitedly.

"And that's not all," Savannah chimed in. "He also got us backstage passes to meet Shawn." The two of them squealed a little too loudly while jumping up and down.

I glanced around to make sure no one was staring at us like we were crazy people. "I appreciate the thought, but I don't really care to see Shawn Mendes perform, and I definitely don't want to meet him. He's probably just another cocky celebrity who thinks he's better than everyone else."

"Who cares? I just want to get a selfie with him. And besides, my dad went out on a limb for us, so you need to go," Jennifer said with her famous pouty lip.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, but that doesn't mean I'm going to have a good time."

"You will once you get there," Savannah stated.

"I guess we'll see in about ten days. Anyway, I've got to get to History class," I told them just before I started down the hall toward my classroom. I'm sure they commented on how crazy I must be to not want to meet Shawn Mendes. I don't really care. I'll just wait and let them see for themselves.

***

Several days later, one evening, Jennifer and I were working on our Biology homework together at her house when a celebrity news show aired an interview with Shawn Mendes.

"Oh my gosh, I've got to turn this up." Jennifer grabbed the remote and quickly increased the volume on the television.

The first question the flirty female reporter asked Shawn was about his tour. He had told her it was going better than he'd expected. I think she took him by surprise with the second question. "So there's a rumor that you're now single. Is this true?"

He clearly looked annoyed at first, but then quickly changed his expression to playful. "It's possible," he grinned at the reporter and then at the camera.

The reporter looked puzzled at his answer, and I had to stifle a laugh.

"So if Shawn Mendes were single, what would he be looking for in his dream girl?" The reporter asked, after she recovered from the last so-called answer.

Shawn seemed deep in thought for a moment. "I guess I would want her to be honest, to be herself...to just be real."

The reporter put her focus onto the camera. "Okay, so there you have it girls. Shawn Mendes wants a girl who can be real."

I glanced over at Jennifer who now looked like she was in a dreamland far, far away. She let out a heavy sigh. "I can't wait to meet Shawn Mendes," she said dreamily.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh brother! Well, you've only got two days but in the meantime, can we please get back to Biology?"