Chapter 4

I was the first of the three of us to wake, which I could probably blame on the very uncomfortable cot. I still had a nice dream though, short-lived but nice. I glanced at the clock on the desk: 8:05. I took the opportunity to jump in the shower.

As I was drying myself off, my stomach grumbled. I got dressed and walked out of the bathroom expecting to see at least one of them up and about, but they were both still sound asleep. I grabbed the pen and notepad from the small desk in the corner, and wrote: going to grab a bite to eat, be right back. A-

I grabbed my cell phone and key card, and stuck them in my pocket before leaving the room. 

The hotel had a very nice dining area with a buffet style breakfast. I picked up an empty plate from the end of the bar, and got a spoonful each of scrambled eggs and hash browns. I then added a couple of pieces of bacon and a chocolate covered donut. I was hungrier than I thought. I went to the drink station and poured myself a glass of orange juice before sitting down at an empty table in the back corner. 

I enjoyed the peace and quiet until three girls about my age or older sat at a table near me. "Oh my gosh, I still can't believe Shawn Mendes is staying in our hotel," one of the two brunettes said excitedly.

"I know, we should try to find him so we can get a picture with him," the blonde replied with a big smile.

That's a great idea.

Maybe I could find Shawn and get him to take that picture with Jennifer and Savannah. I quickly finished the food on my plate, only leaving half of the donut. I got up and dumped my leftovers in the trash, and placed my dishes in the large bin next to the trash can. I headed toward the elevator, pushed the up arrow button, and waited for it to come back down. If I could find Shawn and convince him to take a picture with my friends - it would make this one of the best weekends of their lives, and hopefully they would forgive me for ruining last night.

 I couldn't believe my eyes when the elevator door opened and Shawn Mendes was standing inside the giant metal box. He was looking down at his cell phone.

The same security guard from last night, Diesel, quickly stepped to the elevator door to block me from entering. "Please back up ma'am," he ordered nicely.

"No wait," Shawn said from behind Diesel. "Let her on Diesel." Diesel did what was asked of him, and he backed up to give me room to enter the metal box.

"But Shawn, you have an interview in fifteen minutes," Blake whined. Of course Blake was attached to Shawn at this fortunate moment.

"Come on in," Shawn said to me, ignoring Blake.

I reluctantly stepped inside and stood on the opposite side from them. Shawn was securely nestled between Diesel and Blake. 

"I take it you're going up," Shawn asked me.

I nodded. "Yes."

"What floor?"

"Fourth," I answered. Diesel was closest to the buttons, so he hit the button labeled 4.

"How's your head?"

"It feels better, thanks."

"Is there anything I can do to make up for it?" Shawn asked with a smile.

I saw Blake roll his eyes, and I had an urge to smack him. "Why? It was just as much my fault as it was yours," I told Shawn.

"I still feel bad, and I want to try to make it up to you somehow," Shawn replied sincerely.

"Well, there is one thing I wish you would do. Could you take that picture with my two friends? They were really looking forward to it last night."

"Sure, but what about you? Don't you want to be in the picture?"

About that time, the elevator came to a jolting halt. I looked up to see that we were only on the third floor. Diesel pushed the door open button, but the door didn't move. 

"Oh no, we really don't need this right now," Blake said, clearly annoyed. He stepped over to the buttons, and pressed the red button labeled emergency.

A deep male voice spoke over the intercom. "Hello. How may I help you?"

"This is Shawn Mendes' assistant and we seem to be stuck in your crappy elevator," Blake spoke harshly into the intercom.

"I apologize for the inconvenience sir, we'll get someone here immediately to get you out," the male voice said.

"You need to make it fast because Mr. Mendes has an interview in about ten minutes," Blake spat at the intercom. 

"Dually noted," the male voice replied, making me stifle a laugh. 

Copyright © 2016, R.J. Snow