Chapter 20

After work, I texted Shawn three times to let him know how my first night went. Unfortunately, he didn't reply. I know he didn't have a concert tonight because I have a copy of his concert schedule. Maybe he's just busy, I thought.

Before going to bed I looked at my phone one last time just to make sure I didn't miss a text from Shawn, but still there was nothing.

***

On Saturday morning, I was awoken to my cell phone ringing. I glanced at my clock: 8:38. I rubbed my eyes and reached for my phone. The ID showed the call was from Savannah.

"Hello," I finally answered.

"Lyssa, I'm sorry I woke you, but I thought you might want to know the latest celebrity news." She seemed a bit upset.

I immediately sat up in my bed. "What's going on?"

"I would rather you see for yourself. Go to your computer and google Shawn," Savannah ordered nicely.

I did as she ordered. I went over to my desk and started typing on my computer. Pictures of Shawn with Camila Cabello began popping up. There was one picture that really stood out. Shawn and Camila had their arms around each other, they were looking into each other's eyes and had huge smiles on their beautiful faces. A wave of nausea suddenly washed over me.

"Savannah, I'll have to call you back later," I finally spoke.

"Alyssa, if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

"Okay," I said before I hit the end  button on my phone.

Tears began to stream down my face, and I took a deep breath before sending the text that I hoped I'd never have to send: Don't ever try to contact me again. We obviously lead different lives on different continents, and we should leave it that way. I won't say it wasn't nice getting to know you, because it was. It was bittersweet. Good luck in everything you do!

I put my phone back on my nightstand, laid on my bed, and curled up in a fetal position. I don't know why I was surprised, I knew deep down that this day would come. It's just not possible for a small town girl and a famous celebrity to have a long and healthy relationship.

About three hours later, Jennifer was knocking on my bedroom door.

"Come in," I said softly.

She walked into my bedroom, stopped about halfway, and stared at me with a solemn expression on her face. I was still lying in the same fetal position that I had been hours earlier.

Without saying a word, she crawled into my bed, and lied down behind me. She put her arms around me and just held me for several minutes.

Jennifer leaned up on one elbow so she could see my face. "Alyssa Thompson," she finally spoke, clearing the thick air of silence.

"Yes."

"Would you be my date for prom?"

A small laugh escaped my dry, chapped lips. I don't know what I would do without her. "Of course," I answered.