Chapter 18

"So how did your interview go?" Shawn asked me over the phone.

"I got a waitress position," I answered.

"Congrats. When do you start?"

"Friday night."

"Ouch! Nothing like throwing you to the wolves," he exclaimed.

"I'll only be shadowing a couple of the other waitresses. The manager said the best way to learn is on a busy night."

"Did you remember to ask off for your prom?"

"I did, but I'm not sure why. It's not like I can afford to buy a dress anyhow." That last part slipped out unintentionally. The last thing I want is for Shawn to feel sorry for me.

"I can help you get a dress."

And there it is. His first offer of charity. I know he has more money than he knows what to do with, but I don't want him for his money. I only want his attention, his friendship or maybe more, but not his money. My mind drifted back to that day in the city park when he asked me to wait for him. I need to know what he meant by that.

"Alyssa?" Shawn asked, breaking me from my thoughts.

"No thanks. I can try to save up. I'll just have to wait until the last minute to purchase one."

He chuckled lightly. "You do know it's okay to accept gifts from your boyfriend. Couples do it all the time."

I was suddenly speechless, and overrun with emotion. "What did you say?" I asked after a brief pause of silence.

"I said, it's okay to accept gifts," he answered.

"No, after that," I ordered.

"Uh, couples do it all the time."

I decided to just drop the fact that I thought he used the word boyfriend. At least I know he referred to us as a couple, and that made me feel just as good.

"Are you still with me Ms. Thompson?"

"Yes. I'm sorry to be so spacy tonight," I said softly.

"No problem. So, what's your favorite color?" He asked randomly.

"I kind of have two favorites - purple and green."

"You have excellent taste. Green just happens to be my favorite color also."

After we said our good-bye's and good-night's, I went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. When I returned back to my room, I turned off the lamp before crawling into my bed. I closed my eyes and let my mind drift back to the Sunday when Shawn kissed me both times.

Oh, how I would love to touch him again soon.

***

Jeffrey beat me to Algebra class on Thursday. "Did you get the job?" He immediately asked.

"Yeah. I'm officially a Pizza Hut waitress," I answered with amusement.

"Awesome! When do you start?"

"Tomorrow night."

He smiled. "I think we're going to make a great team."