Chapter 34

On Tuesday morning, I awoke with puffy eyes. I cried myself asleep last night after my phone conversation with Shawn. I explained my feelings for Jeffrey to him, and he was very understanding and civilized about my feelings. In fact, he even tried to give me some relationship advice and I couldn't believe my ears.

"Have you told him how you feel yet?" He had asked me.

"No. I'm afraid."

"You need to tell him. Even if you have to do it in a letter, you need to tell him."

I knew I should have stopped the conversation at that point, but it felt good to talk about it, and I  kept going. "What if he doesn't feel the same about me as I do him? I don't think I could handle his rejection."

"He would be crazy  to not feel the same about you?"

"Of course you  would say that, you're a little biased."

He chuckled. "That's true."

***

The next morning, I filled Jen and Savannah in on my conversation with Shawn last night. 

"Are you going to write the letter?" Savannah asked.

"I think I will," I answered reluctantly. I'm still very scared to tell Jeffrey how I feel.

"I have an idea," Jen chimed in.

"Okay."

"You can write the letter and then put in one of his textbooks when you deliver them to the hospital."

Savannah grinned. "Jen, that is an awesome idea."

"Okay, but I can't do it today, it's going to take some time. I'll write it tonight. Will one or both of you take the homework assignments to him tomorrow. I'm off work tomorrow and I need to go shopping for a prom dress."

"You can't go shopping alone," Jen stated with shock. "We can all drop of the assignments together, and then go to the mall."

"I'm in," Savannah stated.

"Okay. Sounds like a plan."

Later that evening, I took Jeffrey his first round of assignments. 

"How're you feeling?" I asked him.

"Much better already. I might get out of here by Saturday."

I gave him a smile. "Really? I thought you had to stay in the cast for at least eight weeks?"

He chuckled. "I do, but it doesn't mean I have to stay in here."

"That's true. I don't know what I was thinking."

"Are you okay? How are you and Shawn getting along?"

"We're okay."

His brow rose. "Just okay?"

"It's just, it's complicated."

He patted the bed beside him. "Sit," he ordered softly.

I did as he said and slowly sat down. I turned and put my left knee up on the bed so I could face him. 

"Would you like to talk about it?" He pressed.

I didn't want this conversation to go too far. Not now, not while he was still in a hospital bed. I shook my head. "Not really."