Chapter 9

On Tuesday morning I ran into Jeffrey in the hallway next to his locker. He was with his girlfriend Britney. I consider Britney one of my friends too, but we aren't close, not like my relationship with Jen and Savannah. Britney and Jeffrey make a great high school couple, she's a popular cheerleader and he's one of the star basketball players.

"Hey Alyssa, are you feeling better today?" Jeffrey asked me with a smile.

I forced a smile back. "Yeah, much better thanks."

"I don't know, you still seem a little...off," Jeffrey replied.

"Are you going to prom?" Britney asked me randomly.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure yet, but I still have almost two months to think about it."

"It'll be here before you know it," Britney stated as she put her arm around Jeffrey's waist. "Jeffrey and I are going shopping for my dress this weekend."

I had to force myself to not roll my eyes. Well good for you.

"That's nice, well have fun," I told her instead. "See you guys later," I added before making my way to my locker.

I was pulling my books, for my first class, out of my locker when Jennifer startled me. "Hey! Has he called you yet?" She asked.

"Nope," I frowned.

She put her hand on my shoulder. "He will, he's just busy."

I nodded. "Yeah, he's probably swamped," I said, agreeing with her.

***

Later that night, I lay in my bed thinking. Even if I could have a relationship with Shawn, would I want to have this type of relationship? We would have a relationship in which we would hardly talk or see each other. Could a couple even last like that? 

That night, for the first time ever, I cried myself to sleep.

Copyright © 2016, R.J. Snow