Chapter 26

"Can you meet me at my car right after school?" Jeffrey asked me after Algebra class.

I nodded. "Yeah, but what about Britney?"

"I'll take care of it."

"Okay. See you then." I can't imagine what he wanted to talk to me about. Maybe it has something to do with why he seems so sad.

"So, how'd it go last night?" Jen asked me at my locker.

"He gave me this?" I showed her my necklace.

"Oh wow, he's serious isn't he?"

"Yeah, but I think I may have gotten a little more personal," I blushed.

Jen raised a brow. "Oh my gosh! What did you do?"

"I practically attacked him, but he was a perfect gentleman about it."

"So you didn't?"

I shook my head. "No. Not yet."

When I reached Jeffrey's Volt, he was already there and leaning against his car with his arms crossed. He looked serious, yet beautiful. His thick brown hair blowing in the light spring breeze. The muscles in his arms were bulging from his tight t-shirt making him look even more sexy.

"Hey," I greeted first. I was a bit nervous and awkward at what he might tell me.

"Hey. Can we sit in my car and talk?"

I raised a brow. "Aren't you worried what people might think? Or what they might tell Britney?"

He shook his head and opened the driver's side door. "I don't give a crap what they think?"

I opened the passenger door and slipped into his car. "What's up?" I asked, once we were inside his car with the doors closed.

"Britney doesn't have a lot of friends, and you probably know her as well as anyone else besides myself." He paused a moment. "I need some advice on how to tell Britney that I care - I care about someone else. A lot."

My mouth dropped open, and I believe several emotions immediately ran through my body. Shock, jealousy, and sympathy to name a few. "Well, umm, Britney isn't your average teenage girl so, I think, the only way to tell her - is just to tell  her. Britney's very observant, and if you don't tell her soon, she's going to figure it out."

"I know. I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to be with her any longer either."

"Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle," I stated.

He threw me a sidelong glance. "You think?"

A thought suddenly occurred to me. "You weren't telling her before prom, were you? That would really break her heart."

"That's another thing that is so tough  for me. We've already planned to go together, but I would rather ask the other person."

I really wanted to know who the 'other person' is, but I know how not to cross the line with Jeffrey. If he wanted me to know, then he would tell me. It couldn't hurt to ask other questions. "Is this other person single?"

"Not exactly, but if I don't act quickly - she's going to be in a relationship with someone else."

That last part really piqued my interest. "What makes you say that?"

"I, umm, I just have a feeling, a bad feeling," he said solemnly.

"Okay, so the way I see it is, you have two options or two things to think about. You need to determine which is more important. One - not destroying Britney's plans and dreams of going to prom with you, and taking a chance of this other person going with someone else. Or two - you ask this other person to go to prom, and destroy Britney's plans, which would also break her heart."

He sighed heavily. "That's a lot to think about, but isn't number two just postponing the inevitable?"

"If you say so." He's the only one who knows his feelings.

"Okay, I'll think about it tonight. Can we talk again later?"

"Sure, anytime. I'm always here for you."

"Do you need a ride home?"

"No thanks. My mom's waiting for me."

I got into my mom's car,  and slumped down into the passenger seat. "Hey honey, are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine," I fibbed. What I really wanted to say is that a guy I've had a crush on since Middle school is possibly going from one girlfriend to another.  Then I quickly scolded myself for thinking that way. I mean, I  may possibly be in a relationship with Shawn Mendes. The famous Shawn Mendes. Isn't that enough?