Chapter 10

On Wednesday morning, I awoke to the sound of raindrops pecking on my bedroom window. I didn't want to get out of bed, I only wanted to roll over, cover my head with my comforter, and lie in my bed the whole day.

After five extra minutes in bed, I finally decided to get up and get ready for school. When I got out of the shower, I checked my phone and found that I had the text that I had been waiting for.

Shawn texted: Hey! Sorry I haven't called or texted until now. I'm going to call you later, I have something exciting to tell you.

My gloomy day just got much brighter.

I replied: It's okay. I can't wait to hear your good news.

***

I walked into my school smiling, I couldn't stop smiling. I found Savannah standing at her locker. "Good morning," I told her.

"Good morning," she replied. "Oh my gosh, did he call?"

"No, but he texted," I answered.

"What did he say?"

"He said he was going to call me later because he had something exciting to tell me."

Her face beamed with excitement. "I told you he'd call."

I gave her a quick hug. "Yeah, I guess I just couldn't believe that he would."

"I love you, but you always seem to see the glass as half empty instead of half full. You need to be more positive," she stated.

I nodded. "I am like that aren't I, just like my father," I chuckled.

"What's so funny?" Jennifer asked. I hadn't even noticed she approached us.

"Shawn finally contacted her," Savannah answered first.

"Really?" Jennifer squealed. "What did he say?"

"He said he was going to call me later, he had something to tell me," I answered.

"That's great! I can't wait to find out what he has to tell you," Jennifer replied.

"Me too, but for now I've got to get to class. See you guys later." I made my way to my locker.

"You seem much happier today," Jeffrey said as he took his seat behind me in Algebra class.

"Things are beginning to look up," I answered.

"Can I ask what things?"

"A guy I'm interested in finally contacted me."

He raised a brow. "Anyone I know?"

"I don't want to say just yet, but if it turns more serious I'll tell you. I promise."

"Okay. Can you at least tell me if he goes to our school?"

"No, he doesn't go here."

***

I was going crazy all day waiting for my phone to ring. By seven that evening, I had just about given up on him calling me. I guess I don't have as much patience as I had thought.

The phone finally rang at 7:13pm. "Hello," I answered on the first ring.

"Hi Alyssa." His voice sounded a little different on the phone, but still sexy.

"Hi, how are you?"

"I'm good thanks. Everything okay with you?"

"Yeah, just fine.  Are you back in Canada now?" I asked.

"Yeah, and that brings me to my next question. Do you have plans two weekends from now?"

"Umm." I walked over to check my wall calendar, but I'm not sure why, it's not like I ever have plans. "No, I don't have any plans that weekend."

"Would you like to spend that weekend with me?" He asked with excitement in his tone.

"Really? Where?"

"I have the weekend free, and I thought I would come to Spartanburg for a visit. If it's okay with you?"

"Yes, of course it's okay with me. I would love to spend the weekend with you," I answered with a huge smile.

We talked for the next thirty minutes. I told him about Spartanburg, and we made plans for our special weekend.

The next nine days are sure to be the longest nine days of my life.