Antagonist Viewpoint: Part 4

Consider their point of view. You have to keep in mind that they're human and they have a logical outlook on things. You have to put yourself in their shoes, and see the world the way they do.

A good way to do this is imagining your antagonist as a protagonist. Your antagonist is practically a protagonist, minus one event that turned their goals upside down. Your antagonist needs to be just as complex, and just as lifelike as your protagonist, because they too, own the same flesh your protagonist does.

They may have a false belief that drives them towards the wrong goals. They may believe executing things the wrong way will give them moral results. Whatever the situation, your villain has a unique view of things. As a writer, you need to place yourself in his mind.

Set a belief. To have a flawed point of view, they too, need a flaw. Which should probably be more effectively harming than your protagonist's flaw. Your villain needs the mindset that what he is doing is right.

Your villain has morals. He has values. He has opinions. They need to interact and set one clear, believable goal that the villain believes in, is invested in, and considers justifying and true to his purpose.

In my opinion, your protagonist and antagonist should make the exact same mistake: they both have the wrong beliefs and goals. Except, both clash against and disagree with each other. Sure, your main character may have more appropriate morals and values, but it doesn't change the fact that he has no valid point of view. The one thing that sets their flaws apart, besides the fact that they are completely different, is that your protagonist resolves his mistakes and beliefs.