Things I Wish I Known About Being A Writer

I consider myself a fairly devoted writer. I'm chapters away from finishing the first draft of my 350-page novel. But here are some facts about being a writer I wish I had been told beforehand. To clarify, from my experience being a non-professional writer, so I don't even know how being a professional writer is. The thought terrifies me. Sorry if this chapter is a bit centered on me and my experiences. I hope you can all relate!

Crazy Schedules. I don't know about everybody else, but I work best at night. When there's a sense of peace in the environment, and when my brain doesn't wander everywhere. Battling high-school schedules makes it tougher to keep to my writing schedules. Since it was only this year I have grown severely obsessed with it, I find that I've been losing twenty percent more sleep that I did. On top of that, my genetics were not modelled for this lifestyle. Caffeine doesn't affect me a bit, and to stay sane, I need at least eight hours of sleep, so balancing my writing life doesn't come easy.

Perfection Comes Last. Nothing you write will ever, ever be perfect to you. Aspiring writers need to remember that a first draft is a first draft. It's bad, and that's what it'll be until you're done with it. It's meant to be horrific. You need the mentality that it will be improved and that it will be amazing. It may never be perfect and turn out exactly as you planned--to you--but it will be amazing if you're willing to work for that.

Self-Doubt. Either you're new to writing, or you have amazing powers. But at one point or another, you will stop and think about everything that will ever go wrong. That maybe that one flaw in your plot will be the cause of failure, that an editor will reject your book with the snap of his fingers. There is no clear cure to self-doubt, as far as I know, except for the acknowledgement that perfection comes last.

No One Understands. I know a lot of writers. I make friends with a lot of writers, and most of them understand my love, my view of the craft. But I know one too many people who don't. Writers are a breed of people. They have an abstract outlook on life. They see the world through a different spectacle, and no one understands their passion of outlook other other writers. I can safely say I'm a born writer, not it skills, but in character. Writing is a writer's life. My book is my life; my characters are real to me; they're real people, with real feelings, my friends and enemies, but at the same time death and suffering are the most beautiful incidents that occur.

Can you relate to any of these? What's your experience with writing? Please tell me in the comments, I love feedback from all of you all!

Gabrielle