Fighting Scenes: Part 2 (Chloe Bird guest post)

Special thanks to Chloe Bird for writing another guest entry! Great to have her back again! This time she's coming at you with some powerful and amazing tips!

Hey guys!!

Nocturnal_Narrator here, so basically the awesome author of this book asked if I wouldn't mind giving a few tips on fight scenes - *shrugs* how could I resist?

Fighting is something I enjoy writing, I've been told I need to work less on my action scenes and more on my description *rolls eyes* thing is I don't wanna.

I'm just gonna state this now, if you are not a violent person and wouldn't dream of punching the $#** outta someone. Try a different approach when it comes to a fight scene. Watch a violent movie and take notes or watch your siblings fight and simply sit back and absorb the violent squabble.

In this world we have:

* Fighters (Me): short-tempered do not mess with me or you will be injured people. Also I'm a bit of an idiot, so I will fight anyone without thinking because my temper is short and I will likely fight someone till I am actually dead. (I get points for persistence. :))

* Flee-ers (yes its a neologism- look it up): Those brilliant people with a brain who understand by choosing this fight YOU WILL DIE. You peoples are the peace keepers and foundation to this planet. And so I congratulate you.

*Fractured (basically Humans with a bit of umph) You guys have a limit and likely resolve the issue at hand before just jumping at a fight you are unlikely to win. But if pushed you are probably the type with the words DANGER wrote on your forehead. 

And so I continue with the matter at hand.... FIGHT SCENES!!!

When writing a fight scene the worst you can do is plan it out. Sure, decide who will win and what the consequences for the loser may be, but don't make a list of what punch is thrown at what point e.c.t. Because that's not a fight, that's a performance.

Think of it this way, ever been in a fight? Do you plan before it what your first move is? No you honestly don't. You my beautiful human beans, rely on instinct. And Instinct, is never planned.

Imagine this being a pep talk, I'm the coach and you are the weedy boxer in shorts too big and gloves that feel like balloons. You don't want to be in this position but I'm gonna coach you. ARE YOU READY! I'm gonna get all up in your face and you are gonna want to hit me. That's good, coz you didn't plan it.

Now I'm gonna circle you, bounce on the balls of my feet and keep my guard up, I'm gonna keep going until you make the first hit because a good fighter never jumps in for it first. They wait, that's how predators work with prey. I'm gonna let you come to me. 

READY? 

You punch central, aiming for my chest and I stumble back. 

Goooood, aim straight and the fight begins. 

I gain my balance and throw a punch at your head, you dodge and sidestep.

That's basic fight stuff, imagination is all you need. I always picture a boxing ring and as cliché as it is, there my friends, is the basis for a fight. 

(Let's step out of boxing mode now) 

As stupid as this sounds, picture your fight. If that means standing in front of your mirror with the door locked whilst you throw ghost hits. Do it. The more realistic the better. 

If you can't imagine a fight, ask a friend, I am pretty certain one of your mates is an adrenaline seeker with a hot headed persona. If they disagree tell them when you are famous you will dedicate a book to them. 

Tense matters, if it's in the past it can go anywhere and is easy to draw readers in and keep their attention.

However, not gonna lie but its so much easier and interesting to write violence in present tense. Because its all happening in the now, even you don't know how this will turn out. Short, snappy sentences and dynamic lexis are brilliant for this sorta stuff! 

Eg: (Past tense) She threw the first punch. Her hand cracked the side of Kathy's head and she fell back. 

Eg: (present) Throwing the first punch her hand cracking against Kathy's head, she fell back. 

Either way it works but in the present there is more tension as there's a chance you as an author don't know the outcome.

Use lexis that is viable to sound such as Crack or splinter, make your readers cringe. It works so well and is so enjoyable and satisfying if you ask like your mum too read it. Trust me, the end result will be worth it.

If you want a better example check "Immortals" chapter one, the first chapter is solely dynamic and violent. (I don't kno if this classes as illegal advertising but oh well!)

That's all Dearies,

Thanks TyraRedwood you are a star ❤ Guys please vote on this, this book will change your writing life! 

Love, Chloe Bird   

Thank you so much, Chloe! This post was amazing, even I learned a bunch! You've set a new outlook for me. Thanks for your time!