Opening Hook: Part 2

There's one thing you probably know about what your opening hook needs to be: interesting. Let's break that down into how exactly that's possible.

Compelling Point Of View. This, as I have previously mentioned, involves the characterization of your character. You can easily capture your reader by immediately setting your protagonist's thoughts and outlook as very unique. This may be applicable only to certain characters, as your character may not have a extremely interesting point of view. If you think your character does have a unique outlook, then immediately bring their complex and compelling nature into the light. Pour their interesting outlook on their life and environment onto the paper.

One tip on this is to take something generally accepted in society, and allow your character to argue against it, or just have a straight up unusual outlook on it.

Don't forget their compelling point of view has to be has to have some introductory relevance. If your character is starting off with an interesting outlook on something off-topic, then you're missing the point of introducing the setting, genre, and initial situation.

An Abstract Setting. This works especially well in Fantasy, Sci-fi, or futuristic genres. By executing this, you need to showcase the basics of your system and environment. 

One problem that easily occurs is taking this too seriously, by piling pages and paragraphs at time with your excess details on worldbuilding. Don't do that. You can get as far as you need with going along with your main character's actions and describing along the way. 

An Compelling Situation. This is pretty much applicable to any genre. You simply start with an abstract situation. Some people may interpret it as suspenseful, which may be the case, but I'm talking about a strange or unique situation that requires readers to piece the puzzle together and comprehend what's going on.