Prologues

As requested by Harayadem! So sorry it took so long. This is definitely not my area of expertise, hopefully at least a tidbit helps.

Firstly, let's clear the differences between the two: introductions are only preambles. They introduce the setting, character, and simply setup the story in an explanatory way. Prologues tell a story, the story before the story. They're a stories that set up the stories, and usually tend to lean on setting the plot line, introductions focus on developing the characters and setting the plot line up in a more "what to expect" way. I personally do not have to much experience, but hopefully what I know makes a tiny difference.

There is one main rule to this: it has to correlate with the plot line. You should also know that this serves the purpose of introducing the genre and mood of the story. From the prologue, readers need to know what to expect. Here are a few tips for creating a good prologue:

Leave Readers Hungering For More. The purpose of the prologue is not to satisfy the reader, it's to grasp the reader by the heart and hold it--until the end, especially for the prologue. So your prologue should have a beginning but no ending, for the plot is built on the fact that there is no ending to your prologue. 

The Prologue is only a summary of a story before the story. Before every story there is a reason, and with that reason there is another story. Stories are everywhere. The prologue is a story that sets the stage for the main plot. It's a whole long telling of its own, but its job remains to serve a small purpose, only that. So it needs to be summarized.

It needs to set the tone. It needs to set the stage for the rest of the book. One of the ways you do that is through showing your reader how the rest of your book is going to sound.

Is it necessary? If you can't find a reason your prologue exists. Ta-ta. Goodbye. Why did you want one in the first place? Here are some of the things prologues can do: give background on the character, define the setting, set the stage for the story, or somehow connect to the plotline.

This chapter feels pathetic to me. I feel that I'm spurting out common knowledge.. Sorry..