Where The Demons Live

"The wolves wait for you,little lamb..."--Keri Lake

“Aubery…slow down.  We can’t just ride out of here with no supplies.  We don’t know how long this will take.”

 Gre said for the third time as Aubery impatiently walked his horse back and forth.  Gre took his time as he folded his rain cloak and and wrapped up bread and cheese. He eyed Aubery with distaste.  The little pissant had been up before what little sun there was, had saddled his horse, and was ready to go.  Just like that.   No food, no water, nothing.

  Gre knelt down to stuff extra grain in his saddlebags and felt his back groan with the effort.There was definitely rain on the way, his back never lied.  Being caught out on the grasslands in the rain with Aubery pursuing what was bound to be nothing more than a disaster was an epic the most promising bard in the world wouldn't think to put down on parchment.

Brede’s balls.” He thought disconsolately as he eyed the sky and listened to his bones call out to the approaching rain.  Didn't make much sense heading out when they would wind up going to ground as soon as the worst of it hit but Gre knew any voice of reason had been tossed out when Behrin had given him Aubery for the task at hand.  So be it.

Gre swung up into his saddle and ignored the dull pain that flared across his hips as he settled in.  His little grulla gelding that had carried him far and wide stood firm and Gre smiled as he patted the horse’s smokey colored withers.

“Are you finally ready?”  Aubery’s muddy eyes were sullen as they skipped over him and looked anxiously out onto the grasslands.  Gre noticed ruefully that Aubery’s horse, a skittery chestnut, was dancing in place, filled with the same lunatic joy as its rider. 

“Bout as ready as I’ll ever be, I guess.”  Gre replied mildly.  He lifted his reins and started to move his horse out but was surprised when Hollis, one of his drinking buddies, stepped up and caught the bridle.  Gre gave him an enigmatic smile.  If he’d had his druthers, Hollis would be riding out with him now instead of Aubery.

“You’re really doing this, Gre? “ Hollis asked, his voice low as he stroked the grulla’s neck.  Gre raised a brow.  If he thought anybody would understand, it would have been Hollis.  They had both been down the road with Behrin for quite some time and Hollis knew what it meant to be loyal; that the measure of a man was decided by the friends who stood by him.  Gre watched as Hollis’ brown spaniel eyes settled on Aubery.

“It won’t take long Hollis, I’ll see you back at the settlement.”  Gre replied, avoiding the question.  Hollis shook his head.

“I won’t see you again, Gre.  You’ll die out there.”  Hollis stated matter-of-factly and punctuated this remark with a deep hacking cough and a plug of phlegm he hawked in Aubery’s general direction.  And that rammed the situation home for Gre.

 There was a clarity in those words that made him raise his head and look around the camp for possibly the last time.  The acrid smell of campfire smoke, the grumblings and noises of men reluctantly moving about in the stillness of morning, the whisper of the grasslands as they slowly awoke around him gave voice to a mournful longing.  A longing to have the choice to return to what he’d never really had an affinity for, but to return nonetheless.   And a small tired part of him didn't know if he wanted Hollis to be wrong or not.

“Maybe.”  He shrugged.  “Maybe not.” 

And maybe loyalty wasn't the measure of a man’s heart.  Maybe it was just the measure of how tired and old he’d gotten.  Hollis shook his head as his eyes followed Aubery’s restless movements.

“He’s crazy, Gre.  Remember that.  He’s nothing but something bad that just needs the right place and time to happen.  And when it happens—not if, Gre, when—you put him down.  Understand me?  Put him down like a sick dog.”