The Day I Started Talking to Him

I was spending the night at Danielle's house the weekend I got back into the state. I went to Myrtle Beach with my sister, Lisa, to her dad's for the summer because he lived down there and she wanted me to go down with her. Danielle had the crazy idea of camping in her backyard with a whole bunch of sweets and Root Beer. We were in the tent close to 8:45 pm. Danielle decided to play music and blare it as loud as she wanted it to go. She got her phone out.

"Hey, do you want Chad's number? I could give his number and see if he replies to you. I could give you a few numbers of my friends and see if they would text you back." Danielle said. I shrugged my shoulders and she grabbed my phone, inserting his number in, and then tossing my phone back to me. "I sent him a text. Hopefully, he'll text back." she said and I nodded as I looked at my messages. She ended up texting like three other friends of hers.

"You said that you'd only text Chad. You gave me three other numbers that I don't know." I said to her. She shrugged her shoulders.

"I put David's number in there too." she said and I blankly stared at her. "David, he goes to your school. His last name is Wilson. He's a sophomore this year." she said and I made an "o" with my mouth.

"Is he the one that Lisa had a crush on at the same time as Adriana?" I asked and she nodded slowly. 'Great, I have a player's number in my phone now. What am I gonna do?' I thought to myself. My phone vibrated and I looked at it. It was David replying back. I opened the message up.

'Who's this?' he sent me and I replied with 'This is Claire. Is this David?' I closed my eyes because I couldn't believe what was happening. Lisa was gonna kill me if she ever found out that I was talking to him. I caught a glimpse of Danielle's face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her and she pointed to the screen window. I saw a black figure beating up on guy. The black guy was yelling something but we couldn't figure out what he was saying. The guy on the ground was pleading for mercy. We watched quietly and silently for a couple more minutes. Then, the figure pulled a gun and shot the guy. We covered our mouths and got down so the figure couldn't see us if he was to turn around and look if anyone saw him. My phone vibrated again and we both jumped. I looked at my phone and David texted back.

'Yeah, do I know you?' he sent me and I replied 'Yes, I go to your school but I'm a junior this year. I'm friends with Lisa, Nicole, Danielle, and was friends with Adriana.' Danielle tugged my arm and I looked at her.

"What's wrong now?" I whispered and she looked at me.

"Nothing's wrong, the figure is gone and we can continue our little party." she said and I glanced at my phone just as it went off.

'Oh okay. What's up?' he sent and I smiled as I replied 'Staying the night with Danielle and getting a sugar rush from all the candy and Root Beer. What 'bout you?' I sent back and I recognized Danielle's look.

"What was that 'bout?" she asked and I shook my head. I placed my phone next to my leg and grabbed a twizzler.

"It's nothing. He just asked what I was doing, that's all." I replied and she nodded. My phone went off again and I opened his message.

'Just sitting on my bed with boxers on and being bored.' he sent back and I covered my eyes because that wasn't a sight that I wanted to see.

'That's good to know LOL.' I replied back to him and I took a deep breath. Danielle was chugging down the Root Beer.

"Don't chug the whole thing. It has to last us all night." I said to her and she started laughing then took a cookie from the cookie package as she sat down the bottle. We were gonna be up all night with a sugar rush, no doubt. It was only 11:56 pm and we had a long night ahead of us. My phone vibrated once more.

'I thought that I should've let you know since you asked what I was doing. I'm sorry if I got a mental picture stuck in your head.' he sent back. I replied with 'Its fine, you had every right to be completely honest with me.'

Danielle changed the song from "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz to "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks. I didn't mind too much because they were really good songs. I looked back out the screen window of the tent and didn't see the dead guy in the alley. I noticed a cat walking up it though. Danielle touched my shoulder and I jumped as I look back to see her.

"It's alright, it's just me. Let's get some sleep because I wanna take you to the canal tomorrow, if we are allowed." she said as she turned the music off and put the candy away. I nodded and checked my phone once more. There wasn't a message from David yet and I sighed because I was instantly hooked on him like glue.