Chapter 6

After the boys had entered the house, they left straight away to their different sport practices, only having a slight break in the middle to get their kit bags and have a snack. Thankfully none of them had ventured upstairs, so they hadn't seen my hair yet. As Dave was still in Fiji, I was home alone for another thirty minutes until Lau arrived home from work, so I decided to put this time to good use and attempt to find some girly clothes in my wardrobe. Twenty minutes later, after many almost nervous break downs, I had given up; sure I had a few pink items in my wardrobe thanks to Lau and her job, but I didn't know how to match up shorts with skirts or shorts after all I usually just wore skinny jeans, dark shirts and my combat boots. Eventually the front door creaked open again, followed by the sound of high heeled shoes clacking over the marble floors.

"Lau! You're finally home!" I exclaimed as I raced down the stairs and into the kitchen to see her putting her handbag onto the counter.

"We'll, someone's excited to see me! OMG, what’s with the hair? I like it!" She replied with a lilt of teasing and wonder to her voice. I let my lips curve upward into a smile and shook my head at her. Meanwhile Lau continued to unpack her bag's contents onto the counter.

"I need you to help me be a girl, like a girly girl who wears pink and makeup" I spoke my words in a rush, due to the embarrassment of asking this. Lau froze in her spot, her hand dangling in mid-air, as she craned her neck in my direction a look a horror on her face.

"Are you drunk, high, or out of your mind?" She questioned before continuing “I mean you would never ask that, you're not a girly girl, you hate pink! What's happened to you to change your views on this? Are you being bullied about how you dress? Oh my goodness, you are, aren't you? Right first thing tomorrow I'm going to that school and complaining to the headmaster. Is that okay with you?" Lau rambled, seemingly worried, in my perspective I found this highly amusing, and small giggles bubbled out of my lips. Lau looked at me as though I was a demented cat, she clearly thought I wasn't quite right in the head. After my laughter had died down, I began to explain myself.

"No, I'm not drunk high or being bullied about how I dress, but I was playing dares with Tyler" Lau then waggled her eyebrows at me in a suggestive manner "no, not that way, he's a male version of me, so anyway we were playing dares and he dared me to dye my hair blonde, hence the blonde hair, and I have to dress like a girl for two weeks, so I need you to teach me all about fashion, makeup and hairstyles please!" I finished, the volume of my babbling slowly decreasing through the shame I was feeling. On my fifteenth birthday I had vowed to myself I would never ever become a girly girl, or wear makeup, and now I had broken it. After my announcement, Lau was now squealing like a little girl at the through of being able to use me as her very own life side Barbie Doll.

"Yay, I officially love this Tyler kid, let’s go upstairs and I will teach you everything you need to know!" Lau called over her shoulder as she pranced her way towards the stairs, and I slowly followed. "At least try to look enthusiastic about it!" She yelled