Chapter 35

Tyler drove angrily, cutting the corners on the roads, and going as fast as humanly possible whenever he could. We quickly arrived at the house, and the motorbike stopped so suddenly that I fell forward into Tyler’s muscular back and ricocheted straight back off, and fell into the hard concrete ground.

Tyler’s face hovered over me, shaking my arms, trying to get me to move. His strong, handsome and masculine featured were taught with worry and fear. My vision became blurry and things began to change; his strong nose transformed into a gentle swooping shape, and his beautiful green eyes became a pale watery blue, framed with short, thin eyelashes. Tyler’s plump lips changed into thin, pale lines, pushed together in worry and his soft, messy black hair seemed to grow into a stylish blonde bob.

The beautiful blue sky became a harsh fluorescent light glaring down upon me, and the smell of the sea was replaced by the unmistakeable stench of hospital disinfectant. The figure that once used to be Tyler transformed into one of a concerned woman, with tears streaming down her bare face.

“Oh my darling, you’re awake, you’re fine. Oh god I thought you were going to die!” the lady exclaimed, throwing her arms around my slim frame. A man who looked equally as stressed but pleased, joined the embrace, with tears pooled in his eyes.

“Sorry to break the embrace, but we’re going to need to check Charlotte over to make sure everything’s okay” a man in a white coat said, with a lady in blue stood next to him.

“My name’s Charlie” I croaked, my throat felt as though it hadn’t been used in years. All four adults looked stunned and taken aback at my comment, but continued to go about their duties; the two who were crying left the room, whilst the other two began to check various machines around me, which I hadn’t noticed before.

“So, Charlie, how are you feeling after the accident?” the lady in blue asked me.

“Sorry, who are you?”

“Oh, I’m Nurse Linda, sorry I didn’t introduce myself. So?” she prompted, with an encouraging expression on her face as the man in white, who I presumed was a doctor checked my pulse.

“Well, in saying I just fell off the back of a motorbike because I annoyed my friend about skateboarding. Well I’m feeling just dandy” I replied sarcastically. The doctor and nurse Linda froze.

“How old are you, Charlie?” the doctor asked gently.

“Sixteen, duh” the doctor slowly nodded.

“And, which country are we in now?”

“California, America, somewhere near Seal Beach, since that’s where the accident happened” I replied slowly, sensing that something wasn’t quite right. The doctor and nurse glanced at each other, exchanging and unreadable expression.

“We’ll be back in a minute honey” the nurse smiled, and they left me on my own, with the door only open a crack so I could hear some of what the doctor was saying, but only fragments of the conversation.

“Mr and Mrs Cassidy…. Thinks she’s sixteen…. In California…. Motorbike accident over skateboards….. Loss of memory…. No recognition….. Perfectly normal given the traumatic experience….. Back to normal in no time”