Chapter 7

In the morning my teachers weren’t quite sure what had happened to me overnight; yesterday I was wearing mainly black clothes and had black hair, but today I was blonde, wearing makeup and a lilac outfit, put together thanks to Lau. It was our entertainment in class to see the teacher’s faces change when they realised who I was. First lesson I had History with Tyler and Carter so obviously that was a fun lesson, and we all earned ourselves an afternoon detention. Then I had maths with Chrissy, Jess and Matt so there were no detentions given, but I was educated on the gossip of the school thanks to having to sit with Chrissy. Finally before lunch I had Physics and in that class I was with Matt, so we discussed the perks of me looking girly for two weeks, and they were; me being pretty, me being nice, and me not scaring people. Clearly Matt came up with all of those, I couldn’t think of any.

At lunch, I sat at the pre-planned table with Chrissy, Jess, Alexis, Emma, Tyler, Carter and his best friend Parker, and Matt and his best friend Jack. I was told this would be my lunch table from now on and we; together formed the most popular people in the school, as you’ve probably guessed, this was Chrissy’s idea. To be fair the girls were all cool; Alexis is the deputy head cheerleader, Emma is the dance team captain, Jess is the volleyball team captain, and Chrissy is the head cheerleader. They weren’t at all like you’d expect them to be, not once were hair, makeup, or good looking boys mentioned, instead the conversation topic for everyone was teasing me about my transformation. That was until Parker dropped a bomb on us anyway.

“Charlie, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the movies with me tonight?” was all he said, and then he got up with his empty tray and left us all to gawp after him. Then everyone looked at me, I could see the pressure behind their stares.

“No.” I said, I wasn’t overly bothered as Parker wasn’t there, I would tell him later. The girls’ jaws all dropped and the boys looked disappointed. “What? I don’t like him that way.” That was my life changing statement of defence.

“You don’t turn down Parker Jennings okay? You have to say yes, he’ll be perfect for you!” Chrissy exploded, almost yelling at me, she threw her hands into the air in frustration.

“Yeah, and he’s like you since he first saw you on your first day here, it’s not like he’s only interested in you because of the change, he actually likes you!” Carter exclaimed, siding with everyone else, who were all glaring at me from across the table.

“No, I don’t like him that way, and I won’t lead him on, it’s not fair on him” I stated bluntly, they couldn’t make me do anything, the only way I would do it was if someone dares me, and the only person who knew that I would do any dare was Tyler. The girls sighed at me, and looked disappointed, whilst the boys continued with their previous conversation.

“I dare you” his low voice slowly spoke, making me want to laugh at his attempt of a seductive tone of voice.

“Dare me to do what?” I asked him, making my voice sound innocent and sugary sweet.

“I dare you, Charlie Cassidy, to go on a date with Parker Jennings” Tyler finished, leaving me speechless. I couldn’t say no to a dare, I never turned down a dare, therefore I had to do it.

“Fine” I replied, sounding harsh and angry, whilst clenching and unclenching my fists; showing my anger towards him. “Guys, I’ve changed my mind, I’m going to go on that date.” I announced much to everyone’s delight.