Chapter 29

Monday, school is calling me, joy. Getting out of my warm and cosy bed, I went into my bathroom and showered. I blow-dried my black and red streaked hair, and did heavy eve liner and red lipstick for my makeup. Then I pulled on a black skater skirt and a red chiffon tank top, the outfit still had an element of girlyness in it. Once I had grabbed my bad, I stalked downstairs and grabbed my coffee. Even though I was wearing a skirt, I decided to ride my bike to school, so I shrugged on a cropped leather jacket and finished my coffee. I left the house earlier then everyone else, and hopped onto my bike.

Tearing out of the driveway I rode to school as quickly as I could. Because I was there so early the parking lot was empty, so I did what any motorcyclist would do; do tricks and stunts in the deserted space.

Sadly a few cars showed up, so I only had about five minutes of doing tricks and donut spins.  I parked my bike in Tyler’s space, just to annoy him and went into the school building in search of my locker. I shoved my books into the small space and selected the few I would be needing for the morning. By the time I’d done that, Emma and Alexis were chatting with Chrissy whilst walking in my direction, so I went up to them and listened to their conversation about the best mascara to use; the fascinating subject it was.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to see the receptionist I’d met on my first day here. “There’s someone on the phone for you” she sneered, I nodded I her direction, the girls had heard her, so I waved over my shoulder to them and followed the woman off to her office.

When we arrived, she handed me the phone without a word or a glance in my direction.

“Charlotte? Are you there?” my mother’s voice snapped through the phone, my eyes widened, what did she want?

“Yes, I’m here”

“Don’t take that tone with me young lady”

“What do you want, school’s going to start in a minute”

“Like you care about that”

“Good point. So what is it?”

“Were you going to tell me about being suspended?”

“Nope” I popped the P, knowing it would annoy her.

“Why?”

“Zed” I retorted

“Charlotte” she snapped.

“Mother” I replied

“For goodness sake! What did you do this time?” my mother yelled through the phone, the high volume of her voice almost made me forget that she was thousands of miles away.

“Just missed detentions, cut class. The usual” I replied.

“The principal told me about the cow” she sneered.

“Why was he talking about you, to you. That makes no sense” I replied, sounding innocent

“I’m going to ignore that”

“Good for you”

“WHY ARE YOU SUCH A DIFFICULT CHILD?” she shrieked down the phone. “HUH? WHY IS IT THAT YOU’RE SUCH AN IDIOT, THINKING YOUR COOL AND THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE YOU?” she screamed, I was used to her being cruel, but I was in a bad mood this morning, and this just made it worse.

“I DON’T KNOW!! BUT THERE’S NO NEED FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY CARE IS THERE? NO, IT’S EASIER FOR YOU TO SHIP ME OFF OVER HERE, TO STAY WITH PEOPLE IVE NEVER EVEN MET BEFORE. AND WHY DID YOU DO THAT HUH? BECAUSE YOURE A COWARD!” I screamed back. At the sound of me screaming as loud as possibly could, the receptionist looked up from her work, clearly startled by my outburst. I pressed the hang up button and gave her the phone.

“I think I’m just going to go home, would you mind putting on the register for me?” I asked her tightly.

“You can’t just ditch school” she relied with pursed lips.

“Watch me” I spat as I stalked out of the school.