Chapter 33

I woke early in the morning, not feeling very happy with my lack of sleep so I went into the kitchen area of the suite and made myself a coffee. After drinking the coffee I felt much better and more awake, and throughout the top floor of the hotel, there were sounds of people waking up and beginning to get ready.

I went back into my room, and dressed appropriately in swimwear for surfing. By the time I had packed a bag with all of the stuff I would need, everyone else was ready and waiting to go in the corridor area.  No one spoke to each other, we silently got into the elevator and descended into the lobby area, I guessed we were all tired because still nobody spoke or acknowledged each other. We each carried board bags, containing short boards, leashes, board wax and rash vests. Walking out into the bright blue skies, the sun harshly glared down on our heads; I couldn’t wait to get in the water to cool off.

The walk to the beach only took a few minutes and by the time we’d arrived the stretch of golden sandy beach was beginning to fill up with sun worshippers.

“So, the best break’s up there on the reef” Alexis instructed, pointing in the direction of the wave. I could see it already, a crisp, clean cut right handed barrel wave; perfect for a day of friendly competition under the sun with the crew. Upon seeing the wave, a lazy smile spread itself across JJ’s face and he led the way down the beach, the rest of eagerly following with a spring in our steps.

About five hundred meters walk up the beach and we were there. Dropping to my knees I began to sort out my equipment as quickly as I could, tightening the fins, attaching the leash and harshly rubbing on the wax. With my board tucked under my arm, I ran down to the water’s edge whilst struggling to yank my rash vest over my head. Dropping the board onto the disturbed water, I began the short paddle out to the waves, and waited for the rest of the crew patiently, situated behind the line up.

Eventually everyone was in the water, Jack and Parker were the last in, but still they had radiant beams shining off of their faces. It’s amazing that, how the water brings everyone together. No matter what your creed or colour is, you’re brought together by the ocean and the waves, it’s like a calling. A calling to the sea, as it sings it’s mellow and chilling tune to us, giving us a taste of what it’s like, fun and lovable to bare eyes. Yet, when you think about it, so many people have died because of it, most people will know someone who’s been affected by the water, but we still choose to play in the ocean; it’s as though we’re under Poseidon’s spell.

“Sound okay?” JJ yelled at me.

“Huh?” I replied, utterly confused, I’d been lost in train of thought.

“We’ll do the competition in heats, you’re against Chrissy by the way” JJ repeated, clearly this had been discussed whilst I was thinking to myself.

Apparently Chrissy and I were competing first, at the same time as Alexis and Emma, and the heat would be twenty minutes.

“Three. Two. One. And the surf is up!” Tyler yelled to signify the beginning of our twenty minutes.

In the time, I caught seven awesome waves, and managed to sneak a white water ride and an air, meaning I’d easily beat Chrissy, so now I was through to the girl’s semi against Jess and Alexis. Now it was time for the boys to have a go on the beautiful break. It was Jack against Matt, Carter against Parker and Tyler against JJ. They would be all competing at the same time, and apparently the pairs weren’t that important.