Chapter 24

Sebastian Adams.

It was such a familiar name, I'd probably heard it as many times as I had said it to myself; many, that is.

Yet, that one insignificant or maybe not so insignificant detail was what had lead to my involvement in his kidnap.

His last name.

That thought had driven me towards a different question.

What if the Lockwoods that she was talking about were different?

I thought about it some more and had concluded that indeed, there were absolutely no other possible Lockwoods within the area. I knew it. This was because in the incredible phone directory, there was no need to highlight my parents names for being detectives. Their names already existed within the same special line, as sole bearers of the last name Lockwood.

Yet, how could it have been possible?

I mean, my parents had never even mentioned that we had royal background of any sort. Like, ever. It was never even brought up through conversation. Sure, they weren't home very often, mostly going on thrilling adventures in the far east. But, I'd never even so far as to seen a clue of our origins.

I was brought back from my thoughts by a familair voice.

"Are you okay, Amelia?" Charlotte inquired.

I took a sip of my warm beverage and shrugged, "Yeah, sorry. Please continue."

Although she didn't seem convinced, she continued with the story.

"George and Elizabeth were best friends from the earliest of days. He was the son of the commander in chief of the army, and she was the fearless princess, an expert in battle. As the years passed with sword fights, occasional tantrums and shared jokes, their friendship grew into something the both of them could not decipher.." Pausing, she looked at me with a warm smile.

"..love."

The hopeless romantic side of me had sprung up on this point. What? That word was its cue.

Awwwwwww....   said it, not bothering about the wastage of the letter 'w' or even the poor full stops.

Loooookkkkkk Ameliiaaaaaaaaaa...

What?   retorted the 'I'm-not-a-girl-unless-WWE-is-ladylike' side of me.

They're in loooooveeeeeeee!

Yeah, so?

That's soooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeet... like.... from the very beginning... like... like...

Like a G6? Like diamonds in the sky? Like it's dynamite?

Ughhhhh! Just let her finish the story.....

I smiled, waiting for her to continue.

"Yet, there was always a problem with this new emotion that had made its way into their friendship. Both of them had deduced it as something, indeed harmful to their bond. The fear of rejection and awkwardness had overcome all possibilities of confession. And so, they both lived in silence, with a love that only grew with each passing day..."

But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Because-

LET HER CONTINUE!

OK. OK. Sheesh. Calm down.

"..till that dreadful day."

At this point both of my inner voices were silent and listening with all ears.