-7-

-7-

His gut told him that the girl he spotted was his fiancée. He went near her and pulled her shawl off of her head.

 It was, indeed Devika! The group of families surrounding them erupted in cheers of joy and appreciation. Everyone began clapping and patting Zayn on the back. All this time, Devika was wondering how he spotted her, at the same time, blushing furiously to all the teasing she was receiving from her sisters.

She was changed into an orange saree with a blue blouse. It was simple, yet elegant and it perfectly suited her. She wore a bindi and her eyes were rimmed with kohl. Pink bangles adorned her beautiful wrists. And her hair was kept simple.

Zayn couldn’t keep his eyes off her that night. They were always together, greeting and seeking blessings from their elders. Suddenly, Devika’s phone rang and she excused herself from Zayn to answer it.

Devika’s POV

I was walking along with Zayn talking with mine and his family, until the opening notes of the song “Ali Maula” went off from my phone.

“Excuse me” I said to whom we were talking and Zayn and went a few metres away from them.

It was an unknown number. I swiped it once and brought it near my ear, “Hello?”

“Ji, kya main Ms. Devika Sharma se baat kar raha hoon? (Am I speaking with Devika Sharma?)”, asked the voice of a male.

“Ji, kahiye. (Yes, speaking...)”, Ianswered.

His answer continued in English and in a more business-like tone, “Ms. Sharma, this is F.Rodriguez speaking from ‘Gee Productions’. We saw your auditions for dance, and a few of your works on air. We would like you to do a dance number for our film. Would you be interested?”

I literally jumped on hearing this.

“Mr.Rodriguez, I’m happy to know that. But, I really need to discuss this with my family before i come to decisions... Hope you understand” I said. I had to ask my family before I could do anything. It’s not like they would deny, but you had to ask them! “No problem, call me back in this number with your decision. I’ll be waiting for your call. This could be your big break...” He said

“Which movie will I be dancing for?” The curiosity was killing me! This could be huge. I also have to ask Zayn. I’m his fiancé. So, he should also have a stand in this decision.

“Dhoom-3. You’re opted for the title song...” He said.

Wow! This was huge! She really hoped her parents and Zayn would allow.

“Ji...Toh main aap ko kal phone karti hoon. Namaste... (So, I’ll call you tomorrow)”. And with that, both the parties ended the call.

She went back to Zayn and he had a face that seemed to ask ‘Who was on the call?’

I assured him with my eyes that I would tell him later.

It was almost 7pm and the guests slowly started to thin up. Finally, it was her family and Zayn’s family in the big haveli (a traditional big home).

Third person’s POV

The families were seated comfortably in sofas. Devika signalled with her eyes to call her mother. Her mother understood her and went to the kitchen, followed by Devika

“Maa...I got a call from Gee Productions. They saw my work and want me to dance for their new movie. Just a song, though...It’s the Dhoom series! Pretty please! Can I do it?!” She begged, pulling out her bestest puppy dog eyes ever!

“That’s great, beta! We are so proud!” Her mum hugged her and fed her a piece of sweet from a nearby plate.

“Maa...Do you think I should ask Zayn about this...You know..Considering he’s my fiancée and all?” She hesitated on asking this.

Her mum went in deep thought for a moment and said, “I guess you should. But even if he denies, don’t stop chasing your dream, ok?”

Devika nodded and kissed her mother’s cheeks, “Never...” and hugged her tightly

She went out with her mum and sat in the gathering for 5 minutes, gathering up the courage to call Zayn alone to talk to him.

Everyone was chatting loudly, about everything and anything. She suddenly cleared her throat and all eyes were on her.

“Ehm...Er..Can I talk...with um...Zayn? For a moment, please?” She did not ask this to Zayn. She was too shy to look at him. The girls in the family giggled and the elders gave a sly smile. Gaining up courage, she looked at Zayn.

While he stood up, he feared whether Devika was going to call off this marriage. He motioned her to lead the way and she led them to the garden. The cold breeze teased her bangs and her hair flew in the wind beautifully.

“I got a call...from a production house. I’m a professional dancer, you see... And they wanted me to do a song for their new movie. It’s my big break...” She babbled on about something.

“And I was wondering if you had any objection with me doing so? I promise this will be the last. I just really, really, really wanted to dance my heart out on this offer!” She said quickly.

Zayn, on the other hand was quite shocked to see this hyper side of Devika. When he was back into reality, she saw Devika with the cutest puppy dog face on earth. He did not have any problem with Devika working before or after marriage. And even if he wanted to deny her, that puppy dog face was just too darn cute!

“You can give the puppy a rest. I have no problem with you working after marriage too...And this need not be your last. I don’t wanna take away your freedom or your love for dance” I smiled at her and she looked like a kid on Christmas morning.

She squealed in delight and wrapped me in a tight hug. Zayn concluded that he didn’t know Devika at all. And he made it a point to learn each and everything about her...