-34-

-34-

Devika’s POV

Me and Sanaya walked together an stepped in our homes, face to face with my mother. She shot a confused look at Sanaya and asked me, “Who is she?”

“She’s my friend. Maa, meet Sanaya. I met her while I walked to the supermarket” I said.

“It’s very nice to meet you dear, you look Indian...” She said.

“Yeah, I am Indian...”Nice to meet you ..um....” She lagged off.

“Call me Isha, love! It’s nice to see you” My mum said.

“She’s gonna be staying with us, mum. Main aap ko uss sab ke barein mein baad mein bataungi. (I’ll talk to you later about all that)” I said.

“Sanaya, go up the stairs and walk into the second room on your left, okay? You may use the shower and I’ll arrange a change of clothes. I think my clothes from before the pregnancy would fit you good” I smiled at her and she shot me a thankful look.

“Devika...If you don’t mind, can we talk after I shower.  I want to tell you everything...Just so you know who you’re helping” She said softly.

I nodded and smiled. She turned and walked to the room I indicated and my mother gave me the ‘spill-look’.

“I found her on the streets, full of dirt and she was crying. I just couldn’t leave the poor girl there; maybe something tragic took place in her life. And she seemed my age, so I brought her along. Please, mum; she’s here to stay as a friend” I rambled.

She just watched me as I struggled to get words to make her stay here. Out of nowhere, she suddenly hugged me tight. “You don’t know how proud I am to say that I’m your mother” and I felt tear drops on my shoulder.

I hugged her back and understood that she accepted Sanaya in the house. “Maa, I promise I’ll ask her what got her in this state....And when you leave, she’s gonna be here as my sister...a friend” I said.

She didn’t say anything, just hugged me, while I smiled and kept my waterworks in check. These hormones!

She let go off me and I smiled and walked upstairs and set out fresh clothes and brought them to the room where Sanaya would be staying now. When I went inside, I saw her in a towel.

“Sorry, I was talking with my mum. That’s why I took so long.” I said and handed her the clothes.

“Koi baat nahi (It’s ok)” She said. She went to the bathroom and came out in my clothes. I could say they were a bit too loose for her, but she still looked pretty.

“Thanks for the clothes...” She said, “Can I talk to you now?”

I nodded and gestured to sit on the bed.

“Yeh tumhara kamra hai aaj se...Achhi lagi? (This is your room from today. Liked it?)” I asked. I had to start this talk in a good note.

 “Yup! It’s beautiful!” She said running her eyes all around the room and smiling widely.

“Humesha aise hi muskuraana...Yeh muskaan tumhe aur bhi khoobsoorat bana deti hai )Always smile like this. It makes you even more beautiful)” I said.

“Kaash main aise muskuraa pati.... (If only I could smile like this....)” She said, looking somewhere afar.

“We’re best friends from today; practically sisters, we tell each other everything...” I assured her, looking dead into her eyes.

“Here goes my story.... The first thing that my parents taught me was that I was a mistake....” She said with a faint ghost of a smile, trying to keep the mood from falling.