-39-

-39-

3 months later:

Devika’s POV

Life was good as it is. I did my first ever movie and it became a huge success. Khushi and Sanaya got to stay with me as I had to travel to India to shoot some parts. The biggest shock was that my co-actor was none other than Ranbir Kapoor, who apologised a lot to me. I forgave him and found out that he’d married Katrina Kaif. I congratulated him on the sets. We had a lot of fun shooting for the movie and I’d been nominated for a fair share of “Best Debutant” awards.

Of course, I couldn’t attend all of them, I had a job here as a teacher at Brooklyn High. So, me and the girls decided that we’d attend the iifa awards only. But I’d have to take videos of myself thanking the fans who voted for me, IF I win!

It was November here and we were travelling to Madison Square Garden to attend the iifas. We were offered a luxurious room, so that we could relax before the show.

I had a dance performance on the show and to honour the senior and recent women in the film field. The promos were shot, spoilers released and the stage was set.

We reached a hotel near MSG and settled there. I can’t believe it’s the second time I’m performing here....There is a huge cheerful aura about this place.

We lay flat on the bed after our journey and took out our formal wear from our suitcases. (Check out their outfits on the side). It was still light out, so we decided to take a round around the Gardens.

We went in and met with a few people: Ayan Mukherjee, the director of my movie: Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, Shahrukh Khan, Ranbir, Katrina, Karan, Shreya Ghoshal, Shalmali Kholgade and Yo yo Honey Singh. We all chatted for a bit and Khushi grew a lot close to SRK and Shreya. I had to coax her with treats to get her off from Shreya.

“Such a sweet girl, she is!” Shreya said in her sweet voice.

“Hahaha! Thanks! Shreya didi ko bye bolo Khushi! (Say bye to Shreya, Khushi)” I said and Khushi waved to her and everyone else and we went back to our room.

We were about to hit the hay when Khushi suddenly asked, “Mumma, papa kya karte hai paise ke liye? (What does papa do for a living?)”

“He’s a singer, beta. He’s in a band called One Direction, where you have 4 amazing uncles!” I told her. She looked as if in deep thought and then nodded. I chuckled at her reaction: She looked exactly like Zayn for a second. As she was thinking, her bottom lip jutted out in a pout.

“Uske photo hai aap ke paas?” Khushi asked and my eyes suddenly widened. I looked at Sanaya and she nodded unsurely.

“Aajao (Come on)” I told her and sat on the bed, with my laptop in front. I opened Google and typed quickly: ‘Zayn Malik’

In less than a minute, news, videos, pictures, books...everything related to Zayn popped up. I clicked the images tab and showed her, “That’s papa: Zayn Malik”

She gazed at his picture for a few minutes while me and Sanaya gazed at each other in worry. Khushi brought her hand forward and caressed the laptop screen that showed the face of her father and whispered, “Papa...”

I took a deep breath and said, “I’ll show you your uncles...” and I typed each of their names and showed her the pictured of her amazing uncles.

“When can I meet papa?” Khushi suddenly asked and I sighed,

“I don’t know beta. But when the time comes, you guys’ll meet, okay? I promise that” I said softly to her.

All three of us yawned together all of a sudden and we laughed. We lay on the bed; Sanaya dozed off quickly, while I waited for Khushi to sleep. After she closed her eyes and her breathing became peaceful, I whispered, “Just close your eyes and enjoy the roller coaster that is life” and I slept.