Chapter Nine

Adam followed the group, once again, being the last one. He rated his distance from the front by a long shot. Ever since the 'incident' that happened in the metropolis, the air was no longer kind between Adam and Cory, but rather awkward and almost full of tension, like before.
    Adam wished he never had done that. He wished that he hadn't lost control and almost kissed Cory. He wished that never happened so that he and Cory were good friends again.

    He kept looking down as he walked, not really caring if he snapped out of it anymore. Each thought pained him and the fire that was in his heart had dimmed. He thought he was right before, he had messed everything up with Cory thanks to the fact that he couldn't contain the feeling much longer.

   He snapped out of the world and sank back into this thoughts. He was actually about to cry but he forced himself not to. 'Badasses don't cry...' he told himself and sighed, snapping back into reality to find Nick walking besides him.

    "Something's up, I can tell. Ever since yesterday when we went to the Metropolis and split up, you and Cory have been acting differently. Did anything happen?" Nick asked, for once caring about his friend and his feelings. Adam sighed.
    "No, nothing did. We just... got into a small fight is all... like before."
   Nick nodded a little bit, still thinking something worse had happened. None of them wanted another fight or disagreement to break out between Adam and Cory; it always spelled out bad news. They always ended with either Adam being a hardass and making a death treat to Cory or him leaving the group for a small period of time, mostly ending with the group having to go and rescue him from certain death.

     Adam looked at the front of the group, where Cory was walking. He was smiling and talking to Uni, who seemed to be happy too. He whined slightly, not enough for Nick to hear, but loud enough to be there. Again, he wished he didn't screw things up. He wished Cory would just forgive him. For once, Adam didn't want to fight with Cory, he wanted to be forgiven.