Chapter 3: More To Explore

As I sat at one of the tables in the hotel restaurant alone, I felt completely hopeless. It was the morning after the class trial, and the memory of my classmates' corpses was still fresh in my mind. I couldn't believe that three more people had died, and it scared me. Anyone could be next, and no one could stop it.

I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, and looked up to see Michio smiling down at me. "Hey," he said, before sitting down next to me.

"Hey..." I muttered back, looking down at the table.

"What's with that look?" Michio asked me, and I met his gaze, narrowing my eyes.

"Three people just died." I stated. "I don't know how you can be so calm about it."

Michio seemed to think for a moment before responding. "I guess I just adapt quickly. Besides, I wasn't really close to any of them."

I let out a small sigh. I still didn't understand, but I would let it go for now. "Anyways... what's up?"

"Well, Monokuma just told me a new area opened up." Michio said, "I was wondering if you wanted to check it out with me."

"Sure... I doubt we'll find a way out though." I responded.

"Well, we might find some clues to who the mastermind is. That would be a first step to getting out," Michio said thoughtfully.

I nodded. "Yeah... well, let's go."

~*~

The gate that was blocking the street next to the first one opened was now gone. As soon as me and Michio walked onto the new street, I spotted what looked like a fast food place. We entered the building to see that my suspicions were correct. There were tables and chairs taking up most of the space, and a front counter where you'd order food... if there was anyone to take your order.

We didn't find anything useful there, and once leaving we crossed the street to a dollar store. Again, there was nothing worth seeing, so we quickly left.

"Hey, is that a school?" Michio asked, and I followed his gaze. The building did in fact appear to be an elementary school.

"Yeah, looks like it." I replied, "let's check it out."

We entered the building, and immediately I could feel chills run down my spine. Being in an old, abandoned school really was as creepy as it sounded. As we walked through the empty building, our footsteps echoing down the hall, the feeling of dread inside of me kept growing.

I couldn't help but jump when I felt a tap on my shoulder, and glared at Michio as he let out a small laugh.

"You're scared." He pointed out. "That's pretty cute."

Before I had a chance to even process what he said, the steady sound of sobbing could be heard from in the building. Without saying a word, Michio and I made our way towards the noise.

Walking around the corner, Willow and Mai came into view. For once, Willow's snake wasn't with her, and her shoulder was instead occupied by Mai's head as she cried. Willow patted her back in a comforting matter, looking up at us as we approached.

"Mai... did something happen?" I asked hesitantly.

Mai stepped away from Willow and wiped her eyes. "I-I wasn't really sure before, but... but this school..." She paused to catch her breath. "This... this was my school. I-I lived in one of the townhouses across the street... this is my hometown...."

"Wait, you lived here?" Michio asked, sounding shocked.

Mai nodded. "B-but... it can't be abandoned, I never moved! My family... we still lived here when I left for Hope's Peak... what happened to them? Where did everyone go? A-are they..." She stopped as tears began flowing once more. She turned back to Willow who quickly pulled her friend into a hug.

Mai Akiyama... lived in this abandoned city?