Chapter One.

If the photo works it's who I picture for Sister Eve and yes she is French in real life.

The next day Ezra was on time, he was walking through the yard when he heard the soft humming come from the left of him. Turning he followed it to a maze of sheets that were hanging on several lines, he worked his way between them until he came up behind a petite nun.

"Good morning, Sister." He said softly.

She spun in surprise, dropping the basket that she had resting on her hip, a few clothes tumbled out and he immediately recognized her as the nun he'd bumped into before.

"Damn it," He said going to one knee to help pick up the items.

She once again began mumbling in french as she roughly shoved the clothes and pillowcases into the small basket.

"I'm sorry, I keep running into you," He said.

She tore a tiny shirt from his hand and stood, he was finally for the first time able to catch a glance at her face. Small bone structure, pale white skin. Large, brown eyes that looked shocked to see him and almost afraid. Her full pink lips looked a little too big for her small face and even though he couldn't see her hair he'd guess she was a blonde.

"I'm sorry, do....do you speak English?" He asked.

She heaved a sigh and shook her head before turning and walking away with her basket of clothes, obviously she didn't speak English and didn't understand his apologies.

He picked up a small sock that she dropped and held it in his large hands, it was tiny and a light blue color. He vaguely remembered being told there was an infant somewhere on the grounds. He had been orphaned at the age of seven, Ivans parents had taken him in immediately but it didn't help to ease the sting of being an orphan. Whomever this tiny sock belonged to was going to have to be one tough little guy.

He found a clothespin and pinned the sock to the line amongst the other clothes before moving through the yard towards the church. He hadn't seen any of the children yet though he heard them singing yesterday as he cleaned the gutters.

He was walking towards the tool shed when he saw an older nun, she smiled warmly at him as he approached.

"Hello, you must be Ezra. I am sister Mary"

"It's nice to meet you Ma'am," He said shaking her hand firmly.

"We're so glad to have some help around here, Father David and I are getting up in age and Sister Ruth and Sister Eve have their hands full with the children. I'm afraid we kind of let the place go."

"Well, that's what I'm here for."

He didn't point out that he wasn't volunteering for fun but rather because the courts ordered him too. He couldn't deny the church was in disarray and there were several areas he couldn't wait to attend to.

"Come, meet the other sisters." Mary said sweetly.

"I've already met Sister Eve, I'm afraid we got off on the wrong foot."

"It doesn't take much to get off on the wrong foot with Sister Eve, but I promise she's quite lovely once you get to know her."

"I'll take your word for it."

"Come, help an old women to the kitchens and meet Sister Ruth."

She held out her arm and Ezra gently looped his with it, letting her lead the way but helping to hold her steady. She was an older woman, he'd guess well into her sixties. She had a slightly limp but carried herself with the air of someone important and was nearly as tall as he was when she stood straight up. They walked a few feet when she gave his arm a gentle pat on his leather sleeve.