Change

* Maya's POV *

I stand at the edge of the Empire State building, looking down at the streets, then up at the sky. The sun is setting and the streetlights begin to turn on, like candles on a birthday cake. This is one of my favorite places in the world to be at this time of the day. Twilight, the sun setting and the street lights turning on. The sky is painted shades of pink, orange, and purple that compliment the flashing lights below. I've drawn this scene many times before, but I always felt like there was something missing.

"Maya!" I hear someone shout. "Maya!"

I stand up to see who it is, but I already know. I walk quickly around the observatories to find him. "Shit, Maya, where are you?" I hear him say again. I see him leaning over the side and run up behind him, covering his mouth.

"Josh, shut up. I'm right here." I turn him around so he can see me, and I see his eyes glistening with tears. He pulls me close to him, almost to the point where I can't breathe. But I don't mind.

"Please, don't leave me again." he whispers into my hair.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." I whisper back. He seemed off these days, like he had some form of PTSD or he had a fear of being lost. Now I know I have to be more careful around him.

"I'm just happy I found you," he says, hugging me tighter. I hear people around us start to clap and cheer. I feel my cheeks turn red, so I hide my face in Josh's chest. I haven't been this close to Josh in years, and it feels like a relief from wanting something so bad. After the clapping dies down, I turn my head to watch the sunset, but keep my arms around Josh. He doesn't let go either.

"I'm glad you found me," I say, trying to think of something to make him feel better. "I knew you would."

"How?"

"I just did."

He stays quiet for a few seconds, then says, "We have a lot to talk about."

"Ok." I couldn't agree more. I retract my arms and turn around to walk towards a bench. Before I take my first step, he grabs my hand. I look back at him and see the seriousness in his eyes. I lace my fingers through his and lead him over to the bench. He takes a deep breath before sitting next to me. I can almost see the weight on his shoulders and I'm sure he could see mine.

"First of all, you're right. We're not the same people we were a few years ago. Which is why I think we need to get to know each other...again. I'm Josh," he says, sticking his hand out.

Really? He couldn't have done anything more cheesy. I smile at him and shake his hand. "Maya."

"Ok, I'm just gonna tell you what's ben going on. College has been an exciting and confusing journey. My grades are pretty good and I'm a tutor for Biochemistry. Yes, I've been to parties and other college events with...other people."

"Makes sense."

"No, Maya. There's more than just going to parties. People are just...really mean at parties."

I don't want to overwhelm him anymore today, but I can tell he's not telling me the whole truth. "And Kacey, she was a mean one?"

"Yeah, more or less," he says, looking away from me. I know for sure now that he's lying. He always looks away from me when he's embarrassed about what he says.

"Is that all you need to tell me?" I ask him, seeing if he'll tell the truth.

"Yeah, that's it. Your turn." He was done telling the truth today. I don't mind; we've both been through quite a lot today. Plus, you don't get to know a person in a single day. That kind of stuff only happens in the movies.