Two Dancers

Thank you for 1.0K reads! 😘

Song of the Chapter: Please Don't Say You Love Me by Gabrielle Aplin

* Maya's POV *

Last night really did feel like a dream. I couldn't have imagined a better 18th birthday. And that's what worries me, that it didn't feel real. Was it really just a dream? Did I actually dance with Josh? Maybe that's what he did during his free time at NYU, learning to dance. But why would he do that instead of spending time with his family.

As I try to convince myself that it was real, another thought counters it, saying it was only a dream. Actually, I'm not sure whether or not I wanted it to be real. Now would be the worst time to start anything, especially with a Juilliard audition in a few weeks. I turn on my side and look out the window; I'm not even sure if Josh was here. Before I can turn around to look, I feel his arm wrap around my waist and his lips on my cheek.

"Morning," he whispers, pulling me closer to him. I turn around so that I can see his face before he leaves. I didn't want anything to start, serious or not. We would still have to play the long game; we couldn't start now.

"Hi," I reply, smiling at him.

"You're so beautiful," he says, running his fingers down the side of my face. I grab his hand and keep it where it is on my face. I close my eyes and take a deep breath; I had to tell him.

"Josh, I...we..." I stutter, choosing my words carefully.

"Yeah?"

I can't tell him, at least now anyways. I'll tell him after I get the decision from Juilliard. My future comes first.

"How'd you know I was having a birthday party?"

"I knew your birthday was coming up, so I asked Cory if you guys were doing anything."

"You...still remember my birthday?"

"Yes, six weeks before mine," he replies, placing a kiss on my forehead. "So, what do you want to do on your first full day of being 18?"

Immediately, many ideas come to mind. But I want to do something that we would remember forever.

"Don't I still have to show you my audition dance?" I ask him.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sure it's amazing."

I get out of bed and grab my pointe shoes for the week. Josh remains in my bed, his back propped up against the headrest.

"C'mon," I say, grabbing a tank top and spandex. "Field trip." I go to my closet to get a sweatshirt and track pants for the walk to the studio while Josh slowly gets out of bed. I change in the bathroom and when I come out, Josh is making cereal.

"Where are your parents?" he asks me. "I didn't see them last night."

"They're taking a vacation."

"On your birthday?"

"Yeah, just bad timing I guess," I say walking to the kitchen. I go the counter to grab a bowl when I feel Josh wrap his arms around me.

"I'm sorry your parents weren't here," he says, hugging me.

Josh, please stop, I think to myself. I loosen myself from his grip and sit at the table. "They're coming back today, actually." Josh joins me back at the table and we eat our breakfast in silence. When we finish, Josh asks me if he could borrow some of Shaun's clothes and change out of his tuxedo. We both get changed and head down to the studio, as I go through the audition dance in my head. I've done it at least a thousand times, but I always think I'm going to mess up. I unlock the studio and take off my sweatshirt and pants. Josh walks over to the mirror and silently sits down.