When One Door Closes...

* Maya's POV *

"Josh, wake up dude! It's only like 3 o'clock in the afternoon."

Wait a minute, why was someone telling Josh to wake up? I wake up to see Josh rubbing his eyes and Peyton shining his phone light at us. I shield my eyes from the bright light as Josh sits up.

"What the hell, man?"

"Getting in on early, aren't ya?"

"No, we weren't doing anything. Get that light out my face!" Josh starts to grab for Peyton's phone, so I wrap my arms around him to calm him down.

"Josh, it's ok," I say to him. "I should be going anyways."

"You need me to go with you?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Like Kacey said, 'A girl needs her space,'" Peyton butts in.

"Shut up!" Josh replies throwing a pillow at him. "Are you sure?" he asks me.

"Mhm," I smile and nod. This was it. This was my goodbye. For now, at least. I need to focus on finishing my senior year strong. And I'm sure Josh needs to focus on other and more important things too. I feel tears start to burn my eyes.

No, Maya. You're not gonna cry over him. Not again, I tell myself. I take a final look at him, trying to remember every detail. I decide to give him one last hug.

"Goodbye, Josh," I whisper in his ear and place a soft kiss on his cheek. I feel a tear slip out and it lands on his skin. I quickly wipe my eyes and let go.

"Maya, are you ok?" he asks me with worried eyes. Why now, Josh?

"Yeah, I'm fine," I reply, forcing a smile. "Bye, Peyton."

"Bye, Maya," he replies, giving me a small salute.

I don't hear Josh say anything as I walk out of the room and close the door behind me. That was the end of one adventure. Time to find another one.

I mindlessly walk back home and when I pass the dance studio, I stop in my tracks. Even though the place is dark, I can still see Josh and I dancing in there, how we looked together from a different perspective. I picture us dancing together, how synchronized we were. It was just a moment, a moment I will never forget.

I enter the apartment to find my mom and Shawn sitting on the couch, watching TV.

"Happy Birthday, honey!" my mom says standing up to hug me. "I'm so sorry we missed you're big party, but I heard it was amazing."

"Happy Birthday, Maya," Shawn says, joining the hug. "I can't believe you're 18."

"How was California?" I ask them.

"It was awesome," my mom replies, pulling out her phone. "We hiked up to the Hollywood sign and went to Disneyland. Maybe we'll take you someday." She shows my their pictures on her phone; they looked so happy together.

"Yeah, someday," I reply with a distant tone.

"Maya, what's wrong?" Shawn asks. He always knew when something was up.

"Nothing, I'm just tired," I stand up from the couch. "I'm gonna go to bed." I feel the tears start to burn in my eyes. I run to my room and throw myself on the bed, which has the faintest smell of him. I yell into my pillow, letting out everything I've been feeling for him: anger, happiness, sad, calm, complete. I hear the door to my room open and someone sits on my bed.

"I knew something was up," I hear Shawn say. "You're mom just left for work." He remains quiet for a minute, then clears his throat. "Was it Josh?"