Masquerade Ball

Song of the Chapter: Valentine's Dance Tango (from Another Cinderella Story)

* Josh's POV  *

"Quite a first impression," Kacey says as Maya exits the diner.

"She's nice," Kamryn replies. "She'll do great things."

"She's hot. And smart," Andre says. "You're lucky, Josh."

Everyone stares at me, waiting for a response. "Aren't you gonna go after her?" Andre asks. "Get her before she's gone."

"Kacey's right," I reply. "I think she just needs space." Everyone stares at me for a couple seconds, then return to eating as if nothing happened.

***

* Maya's POV *

Two weeks. That's how long it's been since I saw Josh. I wasn't expecting to follow me and I don't care if I never see him again or not. At the diner, I realized that he has so many amazing people around him and I'll just become a distant memory. He also lied about my age, something I thought we put behind us.

"Maya, I'm so excited for your masquerade birthday party tonight!" Riley says, bringing me back to reality.

"Me too," Smackle adds. "I've never been to a formal party before."

"I can't believe you're 18," Lucas says.

"Yeah, I can't believe it either," I reply. And neither can Josh.

"Come over to my place to get ready," Riley says to me.

"Ok, Riles."

We walk into Mr. Matthews' classroom and take our usual seats. On the board, he wrote Truth vs. Lie. Great.

"Next week Monday, we'll be having a debate about when it's the right time to tell the truth or to lie. I'll present you with three different situations and each side will have to argue why it's best to tell the truth or to lie. Some people lie for the sake of someone else."

Or for the sake of themselves, I think to myself.

"I will be assigning the groups. Everyone from Riley's row to the window will be Lie. Everyone in Maya's row to the other wall will be Truth. I will be bringing in a surprise guest judge who will be the final word. You have the rest of class to work with your groups."

The rest of the school day went by quickly, for all I could think about was my party. I picked out the perfect dress and mask. I invited about 50 people, but everyone came up to me throughout the month asking for an invitation. Now, pretty much the entire grade was invited. I even invited Kamryn, who I continue to talk to despite the situation. I didn't ask for any gifts; I didn't want people I barely knew to go out of their ways for me.

"I wonder who the guest judge will be," Riley says.

"Maybe a college student in law school or something," I reply.

"Dad doesn't know any college students besides Josh," Riley laughs. I laugh with her and go into my apartment to grab my dress. The dress is a strapless red dress with a high low skirt. My mask is gold with intricate swirls and designs. I walk over to Riley's house, where I'm greeted by Auggie.

"Happy birthday Maya!" Auggie says running towards me. I pick him up and give him a big hug.

"Thanks, Auggie Doggie." I put him down and Riley's parents walks over to me.

"Happy Birthday, Maya," Mrs. Matthews says. "We're so proud of you."

"I'm not crying," Mr. Matthews says, sniffling and wiping his eyes. I laugh and walk to Riley's room; she's already in her dress.